Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a difficult student    

a difficult student

yetigumboots
Germany

a difficult student

Hello all you expert teachers..... I need some advice. I just aquired a new student who is doing an exam in business/hotel English. (17 years old)  The trouble is she has no English what so ever... nix.. zilch ...can barely say �my name is �... I have the job of getting her through the English part of her exam. I dont know where to start with her. I also don �t have a text book to work from as she is doing a practicum at the moment so had to hand the books back to the school. Any ideas would be great....  Thanks xx Yeti x

18 Mar 2010      

nita551
Spain

This is just a link to English for work, where there is a section on English for hotel staff (among others), although I realize it isn�t much, �hope it helps.

http://www.englishclub.com/english-for-work/index.htm

18 Mar 2010     

nita551
Spain

This is just a link to English for work, where there is a section on English for hotel staff (among others), although I realize it isn�t much, �hope it helps.

http://www.englishclub.com/english-for-work/index.htm

18 Mar 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Oh... poor you! How much time do you have for preparing her for the exam? In my opinion the whole job is really tough. Confused Do you need to prepare her for grammar only, or is she supposed to speak and write, too? I was in a similar situation and I can frankly tell you that it is not fair to ask a teacher  to follow such a  target if someone does not have any basics. I think you can try to prepare her for the grammar part, start with simple sentences and at the same time try to teach her the vocab she needs. Speaking and writing is always pretty demanding to teach if you have little time. A lot depends on the student...she must be willing to spend many hours a week learning English... Concerning the course book, Market Leader (elementary) might help you. Cross my fingers for you! 

18 Mar 2010     

yetigumboots
Germany

Thanks guys xx

19 Mar 2010