Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > definite/indefinite articles and not only! Many doubts!    

definite/indefinite articles and not only! Many doubts!

a isabel
Portugal

definite/indefinite articles and not only! Many doubts!

Please tell me your opinion on the following :
A. Definite/indefinite articles or zero article
1) She goes to ----/the  church every Sunday and also goes to ----/a/the church every Friday to help with the cleaning.
2)I saw them at/on Christmas.

3) More people live in----/the town than in the /_____country.
4)Many people go trekking in ____/the mountains like the Alps or the Himalayas.

5)Would you accept this sentence as correct? " I called an electrician in order to him to repair the plug in my bedroom"

Thanks for your comments.

20 Mar 2010      

lshorton99
China

1) She goes to church every Sunday and also goes to the church every Friday to help with the cleaning.

(Church is an institution but she goes to the building to help with the cleaning)

2)I saw them at Christmas.

3) More people live in town than in the country.

4)Many people go trekking in mountains like the Alps or the Himalayas.

5) I called an electrician in order to have/get him to repair the plug in my bedroom

20 Mar 2010     

priorita
Ukraine

Sorry, miss-o, I object.
1) She goes to church (zero article with words school, prison, hospital, university, church when we are thinking of the general idea of these places and what they are used for) every Sunday and also goes to the church (not for a religious service) every Friday to help with the cleaning.
3) More people live in town than in the country
4) I am not sure with this

20 Mar 2010     

a isabel
Portugal

I feel most grateful for your comments.
Pupils are so imaginative that sometimes I think that natives would accept what they invent and I don �t want to be too perfectionist... (if I make myself understood).
This forum is so useful... This community is great and  I am addicted to this site for so many reasons. I hope it never ends!
Hugs

20 Mar 2010