Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Unknown word    

Unknown word

vardaki
Cyprus

Unknown word

Hi teachers,
Can somebody tell me the meaning of the word "swine" ?
And also the difference between  "pig" and "sow".

Thank you
Hugs from sunny Cyprus

23 Mar 2010      

mjpa
Spain

Swine is an old or technical term for "pig".
And sow I think it is the male form.

23 Mar 2010     

pcroby
Cape Verde Islands

A sow is an adult female pig, while a pig refers to all the farm animals.  Swine is another way of saying pig.  I believe pig and swine may differ over how the words came into English.  I know pig is the Saxon word for the farm animal while pork is the Angle word for pigs.  In England the Saxons were taken over by the French angles.  The Saxons were the lower class who worked the farms, while the Angles were the upper class who were served it in the restaurants.  Swine also apparently comes from the Germanic tradition, but was primarily used to apply to the swineherd, the pig farmer.  That is why swine carries a bit of a negative connotation, because it was used disparagingly to put down people of the lower class.

23 Mar 2010     

dennismychina
China

Swine is the collective name for the species, which includes wild boar, hogs and possible the warthog.

And sow is a female pig.

In �slang, a swine is a derogatory term which describes a despicable person.

Enjoy.

23 Mar 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
I agree with dennismychina but would like to say one more thing. I think "pork" is the word we use for a pig, when we have the poor one to be cooked. You don �t eat a steak of pig, but a steak of pork.
My opinion, �m not a native.
hugs
linda

23 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

Linda is correct.

A pig, who is part of the swine species, is often raised for pork.

Wink

23 Mar 2010     

stexstme
France

It comes from ...Norman! ( I �m a Norman :o)))
During William the Conqueror �s reign, the peasants were English, & used pig or Ox... The noblemen were Norman ( French ) and used Pork ( French porc ) & beef ( French boeuf )...
That �s why English have two words for these animals : The ones that were in the fields ( English farmers ) ( English = pig , ox...) & the ones that were eaten by noblemen ( Normans )( French = pork & beef ...)
Big smile

23 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

Very interesting Sylvie! Thank you from this English Colonial peasant! LOL

23 Mar 2010     

stexstme
France

Many English words come from these times , when Norman kings reigned : pork, beef, money ( French monnaie.... ) I love history of words....
& I �m Censored proud WE were kings some day!!!LOL Have you been to London ??? The Tower is ..............Norman!!!!!!!!!!!!Tongue
Hugs, dear Linda!! Ya know, from my place, when the weather �s fine ( ie = Never!!!!! ) I can see the UK!!!
ClownPs : Our rugby team has just beaten them, allright!Thumbs Up
Who rules ???
Heart

23 Mar 2010