Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What book?    

What book?

GIOVANNI
Canada

I remember reading Grimm �s Fairytales over and over  in my childlhood.  I later enjoyed reading Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys and anything about Greek mythology.  The best surprise I every got was in my teens.  I found Lord of the Rings on the subway.   Once I started reading I couldn �t put it down.

24 Mar 2010     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Yeah, nice topic!

My first book was Pinocchio, but somehow I wasn �t able to finish it since my parents wanted me to go outside and play with the kids. Anyway, that is not happening right now, thank God, and I �m enjoying a book that I fell in love with right from the first chapter where  some scientific knowledge about the three-toed sloth is shared. The book is terrific in the manner of its storytelling.  This is such a book that if you get hold of it, you won �t let go after reading a couple of chapters.

Oh, the book �s name is Life of Pi by Yann Martel.Thumbs Up

24 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Loved Life of Pi. The author�s Canadian French/French/Canadian?

24 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

I have an old book of Hans Christen Andersen �s fairy tales that I got for a Christmas present when I was eleven - another treasure of mine... I think I enjoy the stories more as an adult than I did as a child.

Then there �s Foucault �s Pendulm and The Egyptian that are probably my two favorite books that I have read as an adult. I have re-read each book countless times!

And COMICS! Goodness, yes! I had a comic fad when I was about ten and took out every Snoopy, Archie and Marvel comic from the library since my mother wouldn �t let me "waste" my money on comics... books yes, comics no! lol

I love reminiscing about books... The Hobbit was another favorite of mine along with some Arthurian novels by not so famous writers but who left me sighing at the whole wondrous medieval world... LOL

24 Mar 2010     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Yes, the author is from Canada, but whether he �s  a French-Canadian writer, I �m not sure.

24 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I loved everything about Greek mythology too GIOVANNI - I couldn �t get enough of it! I remember a Marvel ncomic obsession (ok - I still have that - let �s keep that quiet, though), all the Narnia books - which was revived with the BBC series, fairy tales, the Morte d �Arthur - all Arthurian stuff - (I felt so sad for Guinevere) and these books by Susan Cooper which were semi-Arthurian. Oh - and Guy Gavriel Kay who is an amazing fantasy author - I loved his Summer Tree trilogy. 3 books that go everywhere with me in the world!

Then when I was a teen, I would �fight � with my parents, storm out of the house and spend the afternoon at the local library reading anything and everything. My parents knew where I was, I knew they knew but we all pretended that it was a big drama.

Thanks Linda for starting this topic - I also love reminiscing about books!

25 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

Oh my! Guy Gavriel! My ex got me to read Tigana! I absolutely LOVED that book too. And the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin - great stuff too. Still waiting for the last books to come out though.

Anybody remember the chose your own ending books?? Those were so fun...

25 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I still cry when I read Tigana! It �s just so beautiful. If you haven �t read the Summer Tree trilogy I totally recommend it - it �s got one of the most beautiful versions of the Arthurian legends wrapped into its story.

I used to cheat at the choose your own adventure books - I �d read the end and work my way back!

25 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

I will have to order the Summer Tree Trilogy then since I like the whole Arthurian theme. And I cried too when I read Tigana. The characters were just so... human.. the bad were as likable as the good... you felt sorry for them. Guy is a great writer, my ex said the Summer Trilogy was good but at that time I was into Harry Potter. LOL

I think everybody cheated on those adventures stories! LOL  

25 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2