Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching in times of crisis.    

Teaching in times of crisis.

Gia Mel
Chile

Teaching in times of crisis.

Hi Everyone:

I �m a teacher here in Chile, from the Bio Bio region. He have just had an earthquake m.8.8 (or more, still in discussion) about one month ago and Children will come to school for the first time the first week of April ( April 5th) I just wanted to ask for help because I find insensitive to start right away with contents and stuff like that having in mind what they have been through (not to mention what I have been through). It is kind of difficult, because I know that we have a program to follow, but I have to take into account that we are still having quite violent aftershoks that will interrupt the class at any time. I �ll really apreciate your counselling, even more if there are teachers out there with experience in couching teenagers to overome situations of crisis.

Thanks before hand...

Gia.

Thumbs Up

25 Mar 2010      

class centre
Belarus

Sing songs with them, dear Gia Mel. Find slow and  melodical ones to begin with. But try to finish with the cheerful and active songs. Ask them which ones they will prefer. But don �t avoid mentioning the desaster you have experienced. Focus on positive things. Children are very greatful people and their mentality is quite flexible. So they will definitely adjust themselves sooner than you will. Good luck and big hugs to you and your children...

25 Mar 2010     

douglas
United States

You could try to dedicate the first hour to just talking about their experiences from the earthquake. 

My psychology teacher did a similar lesson with us once when a good friend (young) of most of the class was killed.  It was very effective, and the kids (late teens) appreciated it--it helps th e healing process too.  Just be carefull to be very sensitive of EVERYONE �s emotions and to keep others "in-check" when they aren �t.

Douglas

25 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I am sorry that you and your students have had to endure such a traumatic experience. I think that getting back to their normal routine would be the best possible thing for your students. When dramatic things happen, it is good to have something constant to focus on. Things aren �t normal and that can be terrifying so having some semblance of their normal lives back would be a very positive thing. Give them homework! Let them complain. As class centre says - don �t avoid the subject of what they have been through - make them aware that if they want to talk then they can.

I �ll be thinking of you and wishing you and your students the best.

Lindsey

25 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I agree with classcentre and douglas, but Lindsey �s just summarised the best you can do for them in a few lines. Good beginning and the best for all of you there. God bless you.

25 Mar 2010     

AJFC
Portugal

Hi, Gia!

I am very, very sorry for what people in your country had and are enduring.
I agree with everyone here. Maybe you should not avoid talking about your experiences. Why don �t you create a boardgame where you �ll have questions about their feelings during the earthquake, now and about the future? For instance, they would answer with just one word or describe them, depending on their levels. It is very useful, because they will learn/practice and talk about what they experienced. And something that I think it is very important is to play with them. Children love that, and besides that you (unfortunately) also lived the traumatic experience.
Another great thing, though it is not possible to implement everywhere, because you need resources, is "Digital Story Telling". It is proved that when talking about their experineces , especially, the traumatic ones, in front of a camera, people feel free, it is like a purification process.

I wish you  and all the best for you and everybody in your country.

25 Mar 2010