Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "Hi" and "Hi there"    

"Hi" and "Hi there"

colibrita
United Kingdom

"Hi" and "Hi there"

Hi all, I have a question...

What would you say is the difference between "hi" and "hi there" for a greeting.

25 Mar 2010      

Zora
Canada

I �d say there isn �t any... I use both all the time and in any normal (informal) situation.

25 Mar 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks Zora. I use them all the time too. Would we perhaps use "hi there" more with a chance encounter?

25 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, colibrita, there is a very slight implication of a chance encounter with "hi there", but, as Zora said, they are essentially the same. I think "hi there" sounds a little friendlier, too, mostly because it is more than one word, which makes it a little more personal (but not much).

Bruce

25 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

I think that "hey there" might be something that I �d used more for a chance encounter with a friend. Also, I definitely agree that "hi there" sounds a wee bit more friendlier... maybe it is the two word thing going on there.

25 Mar 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks Bruce and Linda! 

26 Mar 2010     

sulekra
Australia

I don �t think it �s just a chance encounter, but that the second person might not have seen them yet. For example you may have organised to meet somewhere, but if they �re looking in a different direction and haven �t spotted you yet it �s ok to say "hey there". The friendlier feeling to it is definitely true though:)

27 Mar 2010