Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to teach little children    

How to teach little children

Anutka
Russian Federation

How to teach little children

Hello dear collegues from all over the world. Could you please give some advice how to teach English to little children, who can �t read even their mother tongue language. Should everything be done orally,  what to do the first... how to make the child memorize leters...I �m a bit confused

25 Mar 2010      

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Hi.
Check out Gabitza. She has wss for small kids who cannot write. They �ll be useful, i �m pretty sure

25 Mar 2010     

Animagus
Portugal

Hello.

Besides worksheets you can tell them simple stories, play some games and teach them songs. You can read the stories from a book or make up one and use some flashcards to explain the words. It is important to use pictures and make gestures so that children can understand what you are talking about. You should use no more than 6 or 8 pictures, because it �s hard for children to memorize so many words or sounds.

If you need some lyrics from traditional songs for children you can go to www.kididdles.com. There are some videosongs in youtube if you want to listen to the songs and show the kids the animations. They love that.

There are some famous games all over the world you can play with them as Hide and Seek, Hopscotch, Find specific objects with specific colours, use dominoes for numbers and colours, use toys and put them inside a box or bag to pick them up without looking and identify things, etc.

Well, I �ve gave you some ideas I use to do with my children, now you just have to feel prepared to explore this wonderful english world with them.

P.S.: Don �t forget to show them movies. There are so many for different themes.

I hope I could help!

Hugs
Animagus

25 Mar 2010     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Have a look;

http://eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=815

25 Mar 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

You have received a great link from Victoria.

Whatever you do, keep it short. Young ones have a short attention span and you �ll need to prepare more than one activity. Little ones love to be read stories  and sing. Songs that involve dances or gestures usually work best.

25 Mar 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

flashcards are good with younger students.

26 Mar 2010     

missromi
Argentina

HI!
I WORK IN FIRST GRADE AND WHAT I DO IS TO PLAY A LOT, READ STORIES, SING AND HAVE FUN. SOME CHILDREN AT THIS AGE CANNOT WRITE. I TRIED TO COPY SOME WORDS LIKE THE COLOURS BUT IT WAS USELESS BECAUSE HALF OF THE CLASSROOM TOOK TOO LONG TO COPY...
I USE A LOT OF FLASHCARDS AND WORKSHEETS. MY ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT I WANTED TO DOWNLOAD SOME WORKSHEETS FROM THIS PAGE BUT I COULDN �T AND I CAN �T YET. DO YOU KNOW WHY? I TRIED TO MAKE A CONTRIBUTION BUT I COULDN �T EITHER.
THERE ARE  GOOD PAGES TO DOWNLOAD FLASHCARDS: MESENGLISH.COM AND ESL-KIDS. YOU CAN WRITE FOR EXAMPLE: NUMBER FLASHCARDS FOR KINDERGARTEN IN YOUR BROWSE PAGE AND YOU WILL FIND A LOT!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!
ROMINA.

26 Mar 2010     

darkeststar
Mexico

Have them song simple songs. Show them pictures of the vocabulary you want to teach. Make drawings on the board. Use your body language to  express ideas and concepts. Make them play and experiment with the language or vocabulary you are teaching. Allow them to touch, to scream, to move around.
Kids love doing crafts and coloring.

I �m teaching kindergarden children right now, it �s not easy but it �s not complicated. You have to use your imagination all the time.

26 Mar 2010