Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Job and Occupation    

Job and Occupation

vardaki
Cyprus

Job and Occupation

Hello there!
 Can you tell me if there is a difference between Occupation and Jop? And If there is, when we use each one?
Thank you

27 Mar 2010      

yanogator
United States

They are often used to mean the same thing, but sometimes "job" is just what you are doing now, that might not be permanent, and "occupation" is more like "career", being something you might stay with until you retire. I also see "occupation" as a more formal word (as words of Latin origin often are in English).

There are times that the words aren �t interchangeable. A job can be a temporary assignment you have been given by your boss, or a temporary situation in your company. My occupation is teaching Mathematics. My job this week is to finish the quarter and calculate my students � grades.

There is much more that can be said on this subject (as with most subjects on this forum), so I hope others will add what they can.

And thank you for putting a clear title on your post, as I suggested doing. I hope the others will make a habit of this, as many already do.

Bruce

27 Mar 2010     

petranka
Lithuania

Occupation is used in formal writing.Big smile

27 Mar 2010     

sorokaira
Ukraine

Occupation is your profession, that you �ve studied in university.

Job - the regular paid work that you do for an employer - work that you are doing now,despite your occupation.

27 Mar 2010