Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Math / Maths    

Math / Maths

lango
Thailand

Math / Maths

In response to a recent post, someone PM �d me and told me that the word �maths � does not exist and it must be �math �!
British English uses the word maths as a shortened form of mathematics....
Am i wrong?
I hate the word �math � i think it �s like saying �mathematic �... tell me the word �maths � exists and that throughout my whole British education there wasn �t a mistake on every timetable i ever had? 

30 Mar 2010      

Aurore
France

As a native English speaker from Britain I have always said maths but math is correct American English. Have a good day.

30 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I second Aurore - maths is British English and math is American English. Obviously, being British, I prefer the former but both are correct! Whoever pm-ed you had probably been ill-informed. Don �t worry about it!

30 Mar 2010     

dturner
Canada

In Canada, we use Math, not Maths, although with many other words we use British spelling (colour etc) and British terms.  In North America, you can expect to see and hear Math.  We understand Maths, but like the others above who say Math sounds strange to their ears, Maths sounds strange to ours.  

30 Mar 2010     

lango
Thailand

Why those Americans had to change our English words I �ll never know, perhaps the language was too hard for them :)

30 Mar 2010     

bluebird4
United States

Hey! ;)

30 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I guess it �s a matter of geography, among other things. You can �t expect people living thousands of km apart to speak in exactly the same way! It happens with spanish and people in Spain and South America ...

30 Mar 2010     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Why those Americans had to change our English words I �ll never know, perhaps the language was too hard for them :)
YOU ARROGANT *******.
In many cases the "Americans" changed the words to leave behind the TYRANNY of England and start a new life in a New World.  Did you forget not ONE AMERICAN was on the Mayflower?  Math is a short form of Mathematics just as Maths is.  IN MANY cases, we IMPROVED upon your English.  British arrogance is amazing.  If you want another war, you have it. Just remember, your are 0-2 (1776/1814). LOL

30 Mar 2010     

lango
Thailand

I think you take life a little too seriously

30 Mar 2010     

adital
Israel

Something wonderful happened in America when people from all over the world immigrated to start their new lives there. The English language has evolved tremendously. It also made the language shift and become in a way easier. Webster who was one of the pioneers in that field made the language far more accessible to all the foreigners who were eager to learn the language, by simplifying word spelling such as colour to color etc �.  I personally believe that a language must keep changing and transforming in order for it to keep living.

As a citizen of a country that also keeps accepting new immigrants I must say I �m proud to be part of a generation who is involved in renewing and reviving an ancient language such as Hebrew. I believe we shouldn �t stop researching and learning and teaching the origins of a language, we should cherish heritage but we shouldn �t resist progress as well.

30 Mar 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hey! Austrians, Germans or Swiss never fight over their "common" language ;o)) Different nations live in different types of reality and have the right to adjust their language to their needs and wishes.

I once overheard a conversation between a woman from Venezuela and a woman from Argentina. They were discussing their Spanish-sounding versions of expressions for some concepts and there was no hostility whatsovever....

You can only deal with one math at a time, even in a maths class

Regina

30 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >