Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "pareja" in English    

"pareja" in English

aliciapc
Uruguay

"pareja" in English

Hi everybody! I wonder if there are any native Spanish speakers online who can tell me how to say "pareja" in English. My student wrote "partner" but I don �t really like it! The only word that comes to mind is "boyfriend" but I don �t know if it �s correct. He �s not her fiancee because they don �t want to get married either. My student was writing about his aunt and her . . . , who moved in together a month ago. Thank you so much for your help !  Alicia

30 Mar 2010      

zafidie
Colombia

Definition couple noun (TWO PEOPLE) /ˈkʌp.l ̩/ n [C + singular or plural verb] two people who are married or in a romantic or sexual relationship, or two people who are together for a particular purpose

30 Mar 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

how about companion? 

31 Mar 2010     

MarianaC
Argentina

in Australia, when you move in you are in a de facto relationship. I guess you could also say live-in boyfriend (but boyfriend is more immature, not such a serious relationship). I �d say partner is the best one, the one people use the most. Hope it helps!

31 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Marianac is right - downunder we formally refer to that situation as a de facto relationship and in everday conversation we refer to that person as our partner.  Jokingly, some people will refer to them as their �other half� or �better half�.

Generally:
- A boyfriend/girlfriend is someone who you date but don�t live with.
- A fiancee is someone who you are engaged to be married to.  You might live with them.
- A husband/wife is someone you are legally married to and live with
- A partner is someone you have a serious and initimate relationship with.  You might live with them.  Mature people often use this word instead of boyfriend/girlfriend.  Some people will say male/female friend instead of partner.
- A de facto is a legal term for a person who you have a serious and initimate relationship with and you live with them.  You might even have children together. 
- A companion is an old fashioned term but still used by some of the older generation who are perhaps widowed and have found a new partner. 

Cheers --  Jayho

31 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you zafidie, but I was looking for the correct word for ONE person, not the two of them.
Hi Gloria! Well, you �ve read what Jayho wrote about "companion", I didn �t know it was old fashioned.
Thank you soooo much, Jayho, as always. See? I didn �t like the word "partner" and it turned out to be the correct one !! De facto is a term we use in Spanish, too.
Thank you all !

31 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

Here in the US, it �s a little different. People use partner mostly in business or for a same-sex romantic interest, so you wouldn �t want to use partner in this situation (in the US). Most people here either say boyfriend (even for an adult relationship) or fiance (even if there is no intention of marriage). Dr. Laura, a very conservative radio talk-show host says "shack-up honey".

Bruce

31 Mar 2010     

douglas
United States

The "politically correct" term can also be: significant other.  Bruce is right about boyfriend and girlfriend--probably the best translation into US English.

31 Mar 2010