Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > quantifiers    

quantifiers

xlpee
Turkey

quantifiers

Hi;
I am a studen teacher and I am going to teach quantifiers(some,any,much,many). But I don �t know how to start the lesson. If you give me some advice for warm-up, I will be very glad.
Thanks..

1 Apr 2010      

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Quantifiers go very well with food topic. You can start the class with some new vocab if they don �t know food words, or if they know you can talk about what the students have in their fridge. Write things they say on the board, then try to divide them into count and uncount. Here is where you start the grammar itself.

1 Apr 2010     

GGman
Canada

I agree with Yulia. Food is best to use for teaching this. Print some food cards.
Basically, I think you need to not get technical or use the word "countable" or "uncountable" with your students unless they are Senior High School age or OLDER. Maybe just teach the words "a" = one (1) and "some" = a portion of varying amounts. Example: Could I have "a" candy? means just one. Could I have "some" candy? might mean 2 or 3 or 7. When you ask about rice, you say Could I have "some" rice? because you can �t count the rice or if you ask
Could I have "a" rice? you will get 1 grain of rice, which is just weird. Liquids, such as milk and juice etc are all "some" unless a) it is in a small container - such as a soda pop can
b) it can be completely drank by the person asking.
These are the general rules. I have a least one good game for this but the file is too big to upload. I will try to think of how to shrink it. Good luck and keep it simple with these rules.

2 Apr 2010     

xlpee
Turkey

Thank you both!
I �m curious about your game. I �ll appreciate if you find a way to upload it.
Have a good day!

2 Apr 2010     

xlpee
Turkey

Thank you both!
I �m curious about your game. I �ll appreciate if you find a way to upload it.
Have a good day!

2 Apr 2010