Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Please help me to ensure myself!    

Please help me to ensure myself!

hongduyen
Vietnam

Please help me to ensure myself!

Please help me with the grammar!

hongduyen
Vietnam

Please help me with the grammar!

Hi there!
In cleft sencences, We use It....... that..... to focus on one part of the sentence. I wonder if we can use where, when, or which... instead of that in the following sentences:
      It was in Bristol that/ where the film was made.
      It was in 1492 that/ when Columbus sailed to America.
      It is the statistics exam that/ which I �m most worried about.
So please help me. Thank you in advance.

1 Apr 2010       Edit topic

yanogator
United States

No, you need "that" for all three sentences.

Bruce

1 Apr 2010     

class centre
Belarus

Does it mean that it �s not correct to say IT �S MY MOTHER WHO COOKS DINNER?
tHANKS.

1 Apr 2010     

hongduyen
Vietnam

As I found in many grammar books, who, whom and that are used. In some exercises, the same structure with where, when, which, why is considered to be incorrect. Yet, still some teachers use where, when, which, why to replace that. That �s why I feel so embarrassed.

2 Apr 2010      

GGman
Canada

I am native English speaker and I can say that 2 of the 3 sentences CAN be used with the alternative "when Columbus" and "which I �m most worried". Definitely both are okay. However "that" is just a little more common when speaking. Speaking and grammar books are sometimes out of date with each other. But with current speach we can use both forms.
The sentence "It was in Bristol "where" the film was made is a little awkward for speach but the other two are just fine. Don �t feel embarassed, both are usually smooth and natural Engilsh - Englshi - ? English : )

2 Apr 2010     

L. habach
Morocco

I think that you can use "that" instead of the relative poronouns "who" and which", but you can �t substitute the relative adverbs "what / where / when / why) with "that"

2 Apr 2010     

aquarius_gr
Greece

Of course you can use pronouns other than �that � !

2 Apr 2010     

Apodo
Australia

After reading all the replies, I must say I agree with Vanogator in the first reply.

It was in Bristol that/ where the film was made.
      It was in 1492 that/ when Columbus sailed to America.
      It is the statistics exam that/ which I �m most worried about.

Using where or when is possible but it is an entirely different sentence construction used in a different context.

It was in Bristol where the film was made. -This does not work well as a stand alone sentence.
It would be better to say The film was made in Bristol or Bristol was where the film was made.

Using where allows for more information about the city to be given

It was in Bristol, where the film was made, that I first met my future husband.

It was in Bristol that the film was made - can stand alone and emphasizes the fact that the film was made in Bristol - not elsewhere.

Similarly the Columbus sentence.

The last sentence just sounds better when �that � is used. 

3 Apr 2010