Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help with ideas    

I need help with ideas

debbiem
Israel

I need help with ideas

Dear friends,
I want to test my pupils writing- based on the topic of giving advice. My pupils need to write 100-120 words and in a format of a letter.
My problem is that I can �t come up with a situation. We practised writing a letter where Maggie writes to Susie giving her advice on how to keep calm before her history test next week. The points of advice that the pupils came up  when they brainstormed were:
not to wait for the last minute
to make sure to go to sleep early
to eat a good breakfast
to leave plenty of time in the morning to arrive to school.

I need a situation where the pupils can think of several points of advice not one or two.
Do you have any ideas?It can be on any topic that concerns teens.
Thanks!

10 Apr 2010      

izulia
China

Advice on how to learn English.

You should:
read books in English
retell stories, recite poems
memorise vocabulary
write a diary
write to English speaking pen-pals
practice speaking
watch movies in English
listen to and sing English songs
learn about English culture
spend at least 20 minutes studying a day rather than 2 hours once a week

You shouldn �t:
think that the best teacher will learn English for you
be shy and afraid of making mistakes
speak first language to your classmates during English lessons
be lazy

Hope it helps:)

10 Apr 2010     

Apodo
Australia

How about �Leading a healthy lifestyle �? 
Then you can incorporate many ideas such as diet (lots of advice about which foods to eat), sleep, exercise, teeth &  don �t forgot looking after your hearing- So many people have their MP3 players too loud.

10 Apr 2010     

mena22
Portugal

How about an Agony Aunt letter? Some kids write to a magazine asking for advice and your students play the role of Agony Aunt. For example, a kid feels badly because he/she is overweight. Your students would have to advise him/her on how to lose weight - healthy eating habits, exercising...  Or a kid doesn �t want to go to school because he/she is being bullied. Students would have to advise him/her to talk to a grown up - parent/ teacher - never to walk alone, never answer with violence...

Have a nice day,
mena

10 Apr 2010     

debbiem
Israel

Thanks for the great ideas!

10 Apr 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi! Maybe you could find ideas here :
Hope this helps!Big smile
Sylvie

10 Apr 2010     

lilianrichard
Argentina

hello everybody,last week it was  the school�s birthday where I work,  it is 50 years old, i don�t know what activities to do with my students. they are 12 years old and it is the first time that they are learning English please what can i do ???? I would really be very greatful if you could help me,thanks a lot

11 Apr 2010