Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Physical punishment    

Physical punishment

jannabanna
France

I �ve noticed that there are a lot more answers to this forum subject than most of the others and I �m not surprised.  Here in France schools are becoming more and more dangerous and not only for the teachers!  I �m approaching retirement and work in an adult training centre where English is just part of their courses.  We have groups of young adults who have just left school without doing exams and they have to be put somewhere!  Probably five of the twenty odd students WANT their end of term certificates, the others are there because they get money at the end of the month.  They are very difficult and disturb the others.  In 2007 I was off with "burn-out" due to these difficult classes.  I don �t believe in violence but something has to be done, it was nothing like this when I started teaching.  Students respected their parents and teachers, wouldn �t it be nice if we could find that atmosphere again?

11 Apr 2010     

donapeter
Romania

I teach teenagers age 14-20 and adults. The teenagers are at a Technical College, which here is a .....solution of not attending school at all! I mean...the lowest marks are allowed here! Sometimes i think I �m dealing with all the delinquents in town, all gathered around in my class. I am used to teaching such humans but sometimes I think they need something to be afraid of. They do not have limits in their behavior and we can �t punish them at all....  no fines, no physical punishments, no nothing. How can we educate under these circumstances? Sometimes I think it �s a waste pf teachers � talent and good intentions teaching them. Really. 

11 Apr 2010     

mariamit
Greece

In Greece, we are not allowed to use corporal punishment. Unfortunately like in many other nations the students are becoming tougher and harder to work with. Although our laws say that we shouldn �t touch students no teacher and I stress this has ever been reprimanded  for breaking up a fight or forcing a rowdy , disrespectful student to leave the room. I think like Philip said that this  simply means giving the teachers the right or to protect the class as a whole and "not let student hooligans take over the classroom."
I live in a small city so we don �t often see this type of disruptive behaviour but last month a gang of students beat up a colleague and sent him to hospital. The reason - the teacher had punished the gang leader �s girlfriend by asking the headmaster to suspend her for three days. She had used foul language towards a teacher who had asked her to leave the class because she was disruptive and was bothering the other students who were complaining. I think it would have been preferable to simply remove this girl from the classroom physically than the resulting outcome.
Not everything is so black and white- especially not in education- so maybe we should all rethink about what the article is saying. I, personally don �t believe in corporal punishment but I think I should be allowed to do what the article says in order to protect my class.

11 Apr 2010     

mildredpierce
France

I work with teenagers with difficulties and I also teach in jail. I �ve chosen to do so, I �ve chosen to teach this population. The problem is, many teachers haven �t. When you experience violence, and you �re not prepared or not interested in dealing with such issues, I can understand the difficulties and the despair among teachers. 

The real question might be: how come so many teachers fronting violent kids are just sent there because nobody wants to teach them? Here in France, most young teachers are dealing with these kids, although only experienced teachers with an interest in them should...

As for breaking up a fight, well, it �s common sense. We �re adults among youngsters, we must play our adult part. 

11 Apr 2010     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Since when is corporal punishment violence?  It �s this kind of liberal thinking which has created the war zones which go on in the classrooms today. The worst thing to happen to the family was Dr. Spock and his "timeout" remedy. I was spanked and so were my brother and sister.  It was not done out of hatred or violence. It was done out of love. My parents loved me and tried to keep me safe by showing me there was a physical penalty for the wrong behavior. Most of the time, the rules were there for my safety or for the preservation of an object.  Think about our laws. What would society be like if there was no incarceration?  Even in the wild west, they had marshals and sheriffs.  There were jails and prisons.  Corporal punishment does the child good if it is done correctly. In England, I got caned on the hand. THIS is totally wrong as it can cause permanent damage to the parts of the hand. Hitting the behind is a different story. This area was DESIGNED to withstand pressure.  Spanking is not violence. It is physical punishment used to deter incorrect behavior. 

11 Apr 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Thank you Spagman for giving me my laugh for today!

Hitting the behind is a different story. This area was DESIGNED to withstand pressure
I always wondered what my bottom was for. 

Now can you explain to me why it is the part of me that is expanding the most?
Perhaps I was spanked too often and it just spread?

Smile SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
Smile LOL Joy

11 Apr 2010     

carinanee
Spain

SPANGMAN I TOTTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!! A good parent corrects his child with love. The famous STICK corrects difficult children. What would you do then? will you let them  become wild and rude? I love my two children and I won �t let them to be a disaster. If I love them, I �ll correct them the way they need.
Have a nice day!!

12 Apr 2010     

< Previous   1    2