Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > supporting signs    

supporting signs

class centre
Belarus

supporting signs

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to share an interesting way of teaching the students how to talk or retell texts. I teach English to Russian students aged 6-18. I make them speak from the very beginning, even when they know yet very little. We have so called supporting signs, which code the content of the text we want to retell. In this case their attention is focused on the content and the means of speech goes to the back of their consciousness. Here are some examples. Let�s begin with the simplest one:

I want them to say

I LIVE IN MINSK

So, we make pictures for each word of the sentence.

The more words we use, the more pictures they make. It�s very amusing and much fun, they draw and use their imagination. But at the same, without realizing, they insert the word order and structures of the English language into their memory, forgetting to think in Russian.

Then they close the manual and look only at their pictures. And the miracle begins � they speak looking at the pictures but they say words! Their pictures can be in detail or like points and lines, arrows or circles. It depends upon their life experience and creativity. They are allowed to write only articles, add �ed, or �s, or �ing to a picture.

It can last months. If I see that a student �reads� hisher pictures fluently without thinking too much about their meaning, we go to the second stage. They close the copy book and do not look at the pictures but speak recalling them, read them mentally.

It�s very individual, you understand. But then comes a moment when I notice that the number of pictures lessens, that one or two signs stand for a whole sentence. That is a sign for me to let them free and have them try to retell the text without making pictures, from their mind. And this is how they begin speaking. Russian doesn�t hinder them with its structures and word order. They get accustomed to build the sentence correctly. They don�t make mistakes in tenses and coordination. They simply don�t think about that! They speak a good English without using Russian models of language.

Here are some samples I borrowed from my students� copy-ooks to share with you the variety and creativity this method can open in the students.

Unfortunately, I did not manage to upload the samples. The ones who want to see them, can get in touch with me and I�ll try to send them.

Natasha

21 Sep 2008