Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Would you like..    

Would you like..

xlpee
Turkey

Would you like..

Would you like some popcorn? OR
Would you like any popcorn?

Both are correct I suppose but which one is more common?

12 Apr 2010      

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hi,

only the first one is really correct, in my opinion, because when you are offering or requesting something, we use "some" in that kind of questions.

12 Apr 2010     

magneto
Greece

"Would you like some popcorn?" is correct in this case. We generally use "any" in questions, but we use some when the question is an offer, suggestion or request.

12 Apr 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Would you like SOME popcorn? is correct

When asking questions, some becomes any, but NOT when you are offering something -> Would you like something to drink?

12 Apr 2010     

xlpee
Turkey

Thank you all!

12 Apr 2010     

my miracle
Turkey

The first one is more correct.We make a suggestions or offerings,so we can use SOME.

12 Apr 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

What it say in clockwise advanced is that when we make an offer using "some" it is more polite than an offer using "any" because of it �s more positive meaning.

But both are correct. I feel that if someone said "Would you like any biscuits?" They are maybe hoping for me to say no. And they might say "Would you like any biscuits before I take them away?" As in you �ve already had five biscuits and now I �m clearing the table and am not expecting you to say yes.

As I said it was in Clockwise Advanced and there �s no need to mention it to your students unless they are C1 / C2 .

12 Apr 2010     

amyi
France

As a native speaker, I agree that �some � is supposed to be more polite when we are offering something to someone.  The grammar books tell us that if we use �any � it means that we are hoping for a negative answer.  I would add however, that I would probably not even notice if someone said �Would you like any tea? � (rather than �some �) and I certainly would not take it badly! 

12 Apr 2010     

zailda
Brazil

For offers and requests, the use of "some" is prefearable in questions.

Do you want some popcorn? (offer)

Can I have some popcorn? (request)

Have a nice week.

12 Apr 2010