Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > PLease help me    

PLease help me

El-Samreyah
Egypt

PLease help me

do we have to add any to the following sentence:

They haven �t got white kittens.

Is the sentence wrong this way?

13 Apr 2010      

curelo
Brazil

It doesn�t sound natural. I would say:

They don�t have any white kittens (it is in the plural)
There are no white kittens.
There aren�t any white kittens.
There isn�t a white kitten. (now, it�s singular, but can be two, three, four...ok?) There isn�t a white kitten but there is a black one.

Lots of way of saying the same thing....

Hope it helps...

13 Apr 2010     

Abizer
Yemen

It wouldn �t be wrong in British English. But in American English we would say We don �t have white kittens.
The difference is in the use of British and American language.
I hope I could help you.
Nasreen

13 Apr 2010     

stexstme
France

( Sorry! I deleted my message because I did not read yours carefully!!! I thought it was about have got vs have (US ), but it �s not!!! I hope you �ll get more �efficient � answers about ANY!!!!!!!!!! )
Sorry-Sylv!Wink

13 Apr 2010     

julietcass
Germany

They haven �t got white kittens has a different emphasis to they haven �t got any white kittens
They haven �t got white kittens really emphasizes that they have kittens in other colours but not in white or that the question may be absurd i.e � as I have already told you, they haven �t got WHITE kittens
They haven �t got any white kittens is purely provides information.

Juliet 

13 Apr 2010     

nightrider51
Turkey

It^s not wrong. I think you don �t need to add ANY. Normally people expect to hear such a sentence afterwards.  � ...but they have got grey kittens. �  We have to consider the matter as teaching Quantifiers I guess. we teach have/has got using quantifiers. �have got some, haven �t got any... �  I hope it helps...

13 Apr 2010     

El-Samreyah
Egypt

thanks a million dear colleagues :)

14 Apr 2010