Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just an Observation on Birthdays    

Just an Observation on Birthdays

douglas
United States

Just an Observation on Birthdays

The new birthday list is a nice addition that solves a long running problem (good idea Victor).  When using it I began to wonder if I was sending wishes to someone that would receive them or not, so I began to check if these people had ever contributed and how recent their last contribution was.  Surprisingly about half of them have zero points, have never contributed, and/or haven �t contributed in over a year.  It takes a little extra time to check, but I feel better sending wishes to someone that will potentially receive them.   ---Just an observation
Douglas

14 Apr 2010      

moni_k
Romania

I agree with you...I checked it too and I had the same surprise.

14 Apr 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

Our birthdays are on our accounts from last week.

14 Apr 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

You are absolutely right, Douglas.
Actually, I don�t send wishes to all the people on the list - just to the members I know and the most helpful ones. Wink
Have a nice day, Michaela

I just did some simple counting: 23 birthdays today - 6 zero members. Are they all newbies?

14 Apr 2010     

robertb
Australia

I �have discovered the same thing as you do, Douglas. Many of them have zero point. Meanwhile our birthdays have just been asked to update for some days. Surprisingly! Therefore, I hesitate to send wishes to them. And just say "happy birthday" to those whose names are familiar to make sure they visit this "home" regularly and they can read what we write to them.

14 Apr 2010     

mena22
Portugal

GSmileSmileD Morning! You �re absolutely right. It �s surprising the amount of members who haven �t shared their work with us after getting enough points to download other members � worksheets. Unhappy

Anyway, I only send birthday wishes to the people I know or am familar with.
Wish you all a nice day,
Hugs from windy Azores,  Hug
mena

14 Apr 2010     

silvia.patti
Italy

I agree with Mena, I only send birthday wishes to the people I know. I �m sorry for the others.

Have a nice day
Silvia

14 Apr 2010     

eng789
Israel

It would be much easier if we could check the ones we want to send wishes to and send one wish to all (like sending the same e-mail to a number of people.)

I don �t always recognize the user names so I am sure that I am going to miss wishing some people.    Unhappy

Barbara

14 Apr 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Just a feeling:)

hello everybody,

just to say that on Sunday it was my B-day and I had the chance to experience the warmth of some people in this site. I am still a newbie here, I have only about 200 points and I still have to  learn sooo many things  (how to make a good wss, grammar rules, etc), so I am often rather shy, when reading your great comments on grammar or browsing the wss. On Sunday I received a lot of B-wishes, from many people and it was a very nice feeling, although I thought I am the kind of person, who does not need any wishes, any formal phrases and stuff like that. But on Sunday, I just felt like a real member of this site... I do not want to be pathetic (not at all), I just want to frankly say, what I felt. It was really great! Thanks again, have a nice day!!

zuzana

14 Apr 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I agree with what mena22, MJ_Misa and silvia.patti wrote. I also send birthday wishes only to those people whose names sound familiar and to the ones whose work I appreciate, of course. ;)

14 Apr 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I would like to use this thread to thank everyone I may have missed for sending me happy birthday wishes - I made a point of not forgetting anyone, though :- )
I agree with the opinions you �ve all posted, we wouldn �t usually stop someone in the street and wish them HB if we don �t know them at all !
Anyway, if some names sound familiar to us it �s usually because those people generally post messages and try to help others by giving them a hand with suggestions, not only because they may ask questions all the time. About sending HB to people whose work we appreciate, well, in my case, I �ve been here for about three months and do my best with ws, though with 2 small kids to raise and no computer skills like many people here do, it �s difficult to elaborate great work ! To end this, I guess the key is to do our best here, uploading ws and helping out when we can at the forum. Sharing ... as we always say !
Wow, sorry I got carried away !!  Thank you all again !!   Hug        Alicia

14 Apr 2010     

1    2    Next >