Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what are they called ?    

what are they called ?

miss noor
Palestine

what are they called ?

Hi,

can u tell me what these containers are called in english ?

16 Apr 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

These are tea pots, possibly thermos tea pots. 

16 Apr 2010     

conqueror_mko
Turkey

what about "kettle"

16 Apr 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

look like coffee pots to me not tea pots. 
A tea pot is usually a round shape and a coffee post tends to be taller and more elegant looking.
A kettle is for heating water to make the tea or coffee.

16 Apr 2010     

Ahlam
Bahrain

Salam

In Arabic "Dalah" and in English "Hip Flask".

Regards

16 Apr 2010     

Zora
Canada

I would say a "decanter" - a coffee decanter. To me a coffee pot is where you make the coffee, not serve it.

16 Apr 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

In the United States, we might say "thermos" if it �s for personal use. It comes from a type of camping gear.  In a coffee shop many people use "decanter" or "pot." 

16 Apr 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

It �s a Thermos jug / Thermos bottle / Thermos flask! Please note that Thermos is a registered trademark and therefore the first letter of this word must be a capital one. ;)

16 Apr 2010     

(Nora)
Saudi Arabia

Can it be called ( coffee flask)  ??

16 Apr 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I always understood a Thermos is designed especially to keep the drink warm, i.e. double sided or with a glass inner bottle. These seem to be intended more for serving, not necessarily for keeping it warm. I would go for �pot � or �jug � or, since they are so beautiful, indeed for the more fancy �decanter � (even though I usually reserved that for iced drinks or wine but then again, I never had such fancy tea or coffee �pots �)

A �flask �, and definitely a �hip flask �, I always understood to be much smaller, intended for carrying with you on a trip or so...

16 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

I googled the different suggestions and this is what I got. The picture of the coffee pot looks closer to the ones above!

This is a kettle:               This is a coffee pot:

This is a Thermos:            This is a coffee decanter:

This is a teapot:

My vote is for coffee pot!

16 Apr 2010     

1    2    Next >