Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Vocabulary problem. Can you help me?    

Vocabulary problem. Can you help me?

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Vocabulary problem. Can you help me?

Hi everyone. I am not sure if the use of "earth friendly" in the following context is ok. ( It is a proficiency piece of writing)

It is an essay about the problems of tourism and environmental damage.

This is the phrase:

"In addition, campaigns are often launched by giving out leaflets and placing signs so as to remind tourists to be earth friendly."

After writing it, I feel now the whole sentence is so twisted. I have not found earth friendly in the dictionary. But I am sure I have heard it. Instead I�ve found...eco-friendly.

Can you give me some advice not only on the word but also on the whole sentence?

Thank you in advance :)

Jorgelina

21 Nov 2008      

libertybelle
United States

Well, you could write

environment friendly

or

"In addition, campaigns are often launched by giving out leaflets and(hanging up) placing signs  to remind tourists to be environment friendly.

or to take care of the environment.  Earth friendly is often used about big industry. For ex. smoke emissions from the burning of fossil fuels.  They make a huge impact on the earth, more than just tourists on vacation.

hope this helps
L

21 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

How about this??

Environmentally friendly

Here you have a site about it ...

Taken from

21 Nov 2008     

libertybelle
United States

Yes, but you can�t ask a person to be environmentally friendly.
Only environmental friendly or environment friendly.

21 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Wow I am being rather contrary today.  Hate to disagree with you liberty - but you can ask someone to be enivronmentally friendly.

Be Environmentally Friendly
do the right thing
put it in the bin

I am environmentally friendly.

21 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Hey girls,

Look at the article I have already mentioned. It says "Get Paid to Be Environmentally Friendly" . So, I think,  it may be correct. Maybe both are correct. Why not making some research on it?

Here you have the site again.

21 Nov 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

Hi Jorgelina

In your sentence I would say either eco-friendly or environmentally friendly

21 Nov 2008     

dennismychina
China

Hi Jorgelinaac,

I personally have not heard the term earth friendly before but it certainly has a nice ring to it. I�d keep it, although I think the correct phrase would be either eco (which by the way is the short form of ecology) friendly or environment friendly. In addition I would say handing out leaflets and by putting up signs (if they are solid) or posters if they are made of paper. Or you could also say strategically placing signs if they are to be permanent. ie. if they are mounted on a post and planted in or standing on the ground.

Remember this is your essay so you should write it in your own style, these is only my thoughts. A possibility is;

In addition, campaigns are often launched by handing out leaflets and strategically placing signs to remind tourists to be more earth friendly.

Good luck,

21 Nov 2008     

dennismychina
China

Hey Guys,

I�d tend to agree with Libertybelle, environment is a noun and ally is an adjective. I think you should be friendly to the environment so therefore you would ask somebody to be environment friendly.

mmmmmmmm me thinks

21 Nov 2008     

mylena87
Brazil

now, I�m the one with a doubt!
Which one would be correct? giving out leaflets or handing out leaflets? Are both correct??? 

21 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

I think that both "giving out" and "handing out" are correct.

Check here:

22 Nov 2008     

1    2    Next >