Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Change your user name as you please!?    

Change your user name as you please!?

blunderbuster
Germany

Change your user name as you please!?

Hi there,

I do not know if you have noticed that, but it is possible to change your user name, just like that. I doubt that this supports the moderators � efforts to keep this site clean....

Regina

19 Apr 2010      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hi Regina,
I know that it �s pretty easy to change your user name, and I remember some people using this feature to hide away...that was long before new rules. I think that now it �s still easy to spot someone who abuses the rules because Victor will see the IP address or something like that and the account of that person who got warnings will still be deleted no matter how often he/she will change their user name or avatar pic...

Have a good day!
Kate

19 Apr 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

On the subject of changing user names, I can think of one user who should consider it. Do you know it �s Ed Gein �s birthday today (google the name), and one of his earliest worksheets was about the film Corpse Bride?

I actually found it quite funny to see �Happy Birthday, Ed Gein! � on the birthdays page.

19 Apr 2010     

coyote.chus
Spain

Oh my God! 

19 Apr 2010     

serennablack
Portugal

ok, someone has a sick sense of humour...that or that person really has the same name... Well, I guess we will never find out!

19 Apr 2010     

Aimee/S.
Israel

It �s nice to be able to change our username! We may not like the old one anymore. I changed mine a few months ago... I wanted my real name.

Options= freedom...

19 Apr 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I �ve seen quite a few members changing their nick name recently and sometimes I get confused because of that. But I still think that everybody should have the right to change their user name as they please. There �s only a very, very small number of members who use this feature in order to abuse the system...

19 Apr 2010     

magneto
Greece

I think it �s ok to change your username, as long as you make some kind of note next to it. For example if your initial username was X and your new one is Y, you could write Y (a.k.a. X). That way, we can avoid having members who abuse the system... Just a thought... Have a nice day!Smile

19 Apr 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

Many members added their real names under the nickname to better state who the owner of the ws is, in the license we have  next to any of our contributions.

If they have a license and use their real names next to it, it �s easy to find out who the person is, even if he changes his nickname.

But if you can keep track of a member here (because you admire his work or any other reason) you can save the link to his profile. The person can change avatar and nick how many times he pleases, but the link for his profile never changes.

I have some links saved in a notepad document and when I can �t find the person using his nickname, I use the link and it never fails. Unless the person leaves the site.

Have a nice day.

19 Apr 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

OK, so I understand you can change your username without that affecting a change in your account? Your printables simply show up under the new name? Or do they stay under the old one? If I change my username do I still see all my printables when I click on �my printables"? Can I still edit, update or delete them as before?

19 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

I don �t think the name change makes that much difference to moderating - we don �t see the author initially when a sheet is reported - just the worksheet and the link to wherever it is copied from. I only check the author if there is some confusion -for example when some idiot reported your worksheet from your blog, Regina, saying that you �d copied from yourself! If the style of the worksheet seems familiar or if it seems like a lot of similar copies, I might check to see if it �s the same person or copied from a particular person.

marion,

I �ve never changed my name but I have changed my avatar and added my real name underneath without problems. I think if you are editing your profile then the changes won �t affect your account. I �m about 95% certain of this! Perhaps someone who has actually done it could confirm?!

19 Apr 2010