Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > music or the music -help!    

music or the music -help!

ignis.fatuus
Poland

music or the music -help!

i have a silly question.
do we say: i like listening to music or i like listening to the music?
is there any difference in meaning? is one of them incorrect?
i �m offically confused.com, so please, please help
:) htanks in advance
m.

21 Apr 2010      

Zora
Canada

It �s not incorrect. It just has a different meaning.

I like listening to music - is a general concept.

I like listening to the music on the radio  - isn�t a general concept. Here you are specifying which type of music you prefer. i.e. - the music on the radio - probably you are referring to a certain radio station or the quality of sound or programming...

21 Apr 2010     

kaz76
United Kingdom

Both sentences are correct but there is a difference in meaning. 

If you are talking generally you say I like listening to music.  But if you are talking about specific music you use the other sentence.  For example it could be music in a supermarket or shop or when you are on hold on the phone etc

21 Apr 2010     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

that �s what i thought. i was taught you should say : � �i like listening to the music" meaning music in general, which now seems to be incorrect (in general meaning). now i teach english to a group and in the coursebook there is a sentence: i like listening to music and one of my students said that he was also taught � �listen to THE music � � and i promissed him to check because i had some doubts myself.
well, thanks for help. i knew i could count on you.
hugs from poland
martyna

21 Apr 2010     

magneto
Greece

Zora and kaz76 are absolutely right. Both are correct, but there is a difference in meaning. Their explanations are very clear.

21 Apr 2010