Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Help Me Please: "Teaching English by Multimedia"    

Help Me Please: "Teaching English by Multimedia"

ditaadityaputri
Indonesia

Help Me Please: "Teaching English by Multimedia"

I have a problem. My English course wants to make a difference in teaching English by using multimedia, it is also for making our students feel happier learning English in our place. However, I am still confused how to make a wonderful learning by multimedia. Few days ago I had tried to use a video taken from internet. The result was not satisfying. My students looked bored and not interested in them. So, I need any suggestions how to use multimedia in learning English and if you have any sources such as video or audio please tell me... I really appreciate any suggestions from you...
Help me pleaseSmile

23 Apr 2010      

kaykie
Thailand

I �ve used movies for vocabulary before.  I teach an ESP class with students who take culinary classes so I pre-taught them cooking verbs, appliances and restaurant jobs.  I then did a vocab test to make sure they understood the vocab and then showed them selected scenes from Ratatouille and had them write as many vocab words they could remember on a sheet of paper.  I would stop the dvd in intervals and encouraged them to first write the words in their mother language if neeeded and then look up the English spelling if they couldn �t remember.  At least it showed they remembered what was taught.

23 Apr 2010     

bluebird4
United States

This is just an idea--
Why not let the students make a video of themselves?
They can write a play and then act it out. When they are acting out their play, you can take a video of them. They will not be bored watching each other, plus they will be practicing their writing, listening and speaking.

23 Apr 2010     

libertybelle
United States

You have to remember that you are not an entertainer - you are a teacher.
You are there to teach.

I agree with bluebird - let the students be a part of the process. That way, is they are bored - then its their own fault - not yours!

I also make a for and against discussion.
The students work on a one minute speech of why they are for or against
and I film them.
They learn a lot by watching themselves.

for teaching grammar - you can choose some good commercials at YouTube. 
They are usually short - and they can find the verbs and nouns etc.

Good luck

23 Apr 2010     

teacher jessie
Argentina

The idea of using multimedia in the classroom is because it is motivating. Students are used to it, they just love it. It is their natural environment I would say.
As well as reading and writing activities, activities with mulltimedia shouldn �t be too long, no more than 15minutes. So if you �re planning to include a video or movie, have the students watching just a part of it, it is not necessary to watch the complete movie.
If you �re planning to use the computer, have your students doing some activities, not the whole class, because they can get distracted, and if the topic or exercise that you �ve selected is not appealing enough, they get bored the whole class.
I hope it helps,
Good luck

23 Apr 2010     

serene
Greece

Perhaps the video you chose was too long or too difficult for your students. Like teacher jessie said, I use short videos (about 10-15 minutes) and I always do some pre-watching activities to increase my students � interest. I also pre-teach some key vocabulary to enhance their comprehension of the video.

You can find some short movie clips with exercises here:
http://moviesegmentstoassessgrammargoals.blogspot.com/
http://warmupsfollowups.blogspot.com/

23 Apr 2010     

ditaadityaputri
Indonesia

Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. Hopefully i can do my best for the next time.

26 Apr 2010