Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A bit disgusted    

A bit disgusted

lshorton99
China

Hi lovinglondon,

I understand how this must be frustrating for you but I think that the lovely mambaverde and dear mena have made the point. It isn �t about the fact that there were only two easily editable words - of course someone could change them or remove them without a problem. And it isn �t about some petty need to follow the rules to the letter. it �s about that fact that a line has to be drawn somewhere to stop this forum becoming littered with posts by people saying that if so and so �s worksheet wasn �t removed, why was theirs. The rules used to be a bit more flexible on this area but now they are clear - ws must be 100% in English - to avoid this ambiguity.

I know having a worksheet reported must be really hurtful but remember that your worksheet was reported for anything serious. Often people do pm the user, suggesting they change a couple of words to avoid being reported but never get a response. Reporting, on this kind of issue, is merely a way to let someone know that there �s a little mistake which they can change - no harm, no foul. People don �t report worksheets out of spite - they do it to keep this site running. I am amazed at the time some people have taken to ensure worksheets follow the rules and support the site.

Look, for example, at the current issue with the busyteachers site - people have noticed the copies and reported them to the site which has removed them. If this site had a lot of copies and one day, the owners of the work found them, there is a small chance this site would get shut down - victor couldn �t keep it running while engaged in a copyright dispute!

All I �m saying is that the rules are there for a reason - for the benefit of everyone in the site. To say you are disgusted that your worksheet was reported for breaking a rule, however small, seems like you are saying that the rules shouldn �t apply to you, or at least this particular one. I wish translation was allowed - but it �s not and I accept that as I agreed to abide by the new rules when they were implemented.

If you really think it is unfair, then send victor a message and maybe he �ll agree with you-

Enjoy the week

Lindsey

25 Apr 2010     

lovinglondon
Spain

Dear Ishorton,
My discomfort is not so much for those tiny words in Spanish, which were easy to edit and therefore I have uploaded the WS again, but for the imposibility to defend myself. I only say that moderators must do their work fully, I mean, moderate and notify the author about removing something. they can �t assume that nobody is going to answer, �cause there are member who do so. Me, for example.
I want to say that I have also been a moderator myself. I know what I �m talking about, believe me.
Anyway, I am the first I want to carry out the rules and believe me, one again, that this is not going to happen anymore as far as my WS are concerned.
I want to apologize if any member has felt hurt.
Thank all the members who have supported me with this issue!!!
Love
Eva

25 Apr 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

I �ve seen worksheets that are completely in arabic-and they don �t get removed. Up the rules!

25 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Eva

but for the impossibility to defend myself

You have raised a valid point.  In fact, several members have raised the very same issue in this forum.  Afterall, in day to day life we usually have the right to defend ourselves. 

Perhaps, PM Victor with your thoughts.  Alternatively, maybe raise a separate thread on this issue to gauge the thoughts of others.  In life, we debate these issues and come to a resolution.  Maybe it�s now time to rationally debate this issue.

Some moderators kindly go the extra mile and do PM members but it is not a mandatory requirement.  It could be that a system-generated invitation to defend oneself is now timely and that one�s defence statement be added to the comments section in the reporting page.

Well, just another penny�s worth ...

Cheers

Jayho

25 Apr 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@cauffeepot

Feel free to report them!!

@Jayho

I second your proposal (It could be that a system-generated invitation to defend oneself is now timely and that one�s defence statement be added to the comments section in the reporting page.) Let �s hope that Victor can make it possible!

25 Apr 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Lovinglondon,

Yes, I do speak Spanish fluently, I use it to explain German grammar, however, I do try to see things from other people �s points of view as well. I have apologized to you in order to make that bad taste go away. I hope that all of us, including myself, can learn from the experience.

Jayho: Thank you! Heart
Lindsey, thank you so much! Hug
But....... you might have to rethink your choice of words next time, the green Mamba is one of the deadliest animals alive.....

Regards

25 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

Please - the mamba is a kitten!

OK - trying to think of ideas...

Perhaps there could be a 24-hour grace period, where the author of a reported worksheet has the chance to defend themselves or remove the worksheets freely?

Or a separate reporting page - if your worksheet is reported, there is a page for you and the moderators to go to for 24 hours - if you want to defend yourself, you can. Or maybe you can see only your worksheet on the current reporting page and make comments. Of course, then you �d be able to see who reported you and that might turn into a revenge reporting saga. Maybe the person who reports it shouldn �t be visible to the reportee? I don �t think anyone wants people to send them harrassing messages asking why their worksheet was reported!

I don �t know - all this seems like e lot of extra work for victor and a lot of extra space on the server. Has anyone got any ideas that don �t involve a lot of work or space?

Confused

25 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Lyndsey

I quite like the idea of a system-generated invitation whereby a defence statement can be added to the comments section in the reporting page.

I don�t think that would take up too much room and it would provide an avenue of defence.  There are occasions where innocent members have had their removed printables reinstated by Victor.  Although a simple process, these members have commented that they felt as if they were treated as cheats with no right of reply (unless they have moderation rights).

I�m not sure how difficult it is to implement but if it is implemented then the rules naturally become even more complicated (because members have  limited time in which to defend) and this provides for more ... dissatisfaction and debate. 

Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

Cheers

Jayho

25 Apr 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

...when first we practise to deceive.

pip pip!

25 Apr 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3