Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) OR TDAH (trastorno de déficit de atención / hiperactividad)    

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) OR TDAH (trastorno de déficit de atención / hiperactividad)

annae
Spain

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) OR TDAH (trastorno de déficit de atención / hiperactividad)

DEAR BUDDIES!!!

I need some help. I ´m a primary teacher and have a 4th grader girl sith ADHD.
She ´s new at school this year and learning English is so difficult for her.
Please, does someone know thechniques, methods or ideas for these kids ?

Thanks for your help!

Ana Martínez

25 Apr 2010      

aragoneses
Spain

I have some students with the same problem, it ´s very hard to work with them, sometimes you feel you aren ´t able to help them, but  you will get it with patience and love.
There is a book which helps me to understand and help them. The title is " Guía Práctica para educadores: El alumno con TDAH, trastorno por déficit de atención con o sin hiperactividad"
Adana Fundació. Ediciones Mayo.
Good luck
Ana

25 Apr 2010     

kodora
Greece

Dear colleague, check the following sites:

http://www.childrensdisabilities.info/adhd/teaching-adhd.html
http://www.athealth.com/Consumer/disorders/teach_adhd.html
http://www.essortment.com/all/adhdteaching_renl.htm
http://www.kellybear.com/TeacherArticles/TeacherTip49.html

I have been called to teach children with adhd, dyslexia and other disabilities.My first and most important piece of advice is to make her feel that you love and respect her as a human being because such children have very low self-esteem.So, your first job is to find things she can do well and praise her.This way, it will be easier to work with her.You should have a lot of patience no matter how much her fidgeting upsets you.These children often misbehave because this way they can attract everyone ´s attention.Your behaviour should be calm but firm as far rules of the classroom are concerned because they need rules.They can learn things
better if you use kinaesthetic activities and of course chances to move around the classroom.
They can ´t follow the pace of the other kids so you will have to modify your expectations and
be supportive and full of praise for her little achievements.
Reading about this disorder will help you understand why they behave this way.
Creating a safe and loving classroom environment is the cornerstone of your success.
I hope I have helped you.
Good luck!

25 Apr 2010     

coyote.chus
Spain

You can read the following book:
Déficit de atención con hiperactividad, Manual para padres y educadores.
Isabel Orjales Villar

It ´s great.

25 Apr 2010     

viccxx
Greece

The real problem begins when the parents are negative and don ´t even want to acknowledge that their child has the disorder. I recently had to give up tutoring  a student with adhd whose parents were either not correctly informed or more likely hiding their head in the sand. Shame. My heart bleeds for these kids. There ´s not much any teacher can do if the home environment doesnt realise the problem.

25 Apr 2010     

verybouncyperson
Spain

I had a teen with ADHD and he was quite disruptive in the class.  I realised after speaking to his parents a couple of times, that they were probably hearing exactly the same from his teachers at school - it was difficult for them to always hear the negative too.  So I bought a little book for my student and after every class he would stay behind for a couple of minutes and we ´d talk about the class and I ´d write a note to his parents, talking about both the positive and the negative.  It helped because it came from the student too - he knew when he ´d had a good day or not.  It certainly didn ´t "cure" him, but it helped him to be more responsible in the classroom and I made sure that when he had a good day, the note was really positive.
I used to see him three times a week, so at the beginning of the week, he ´d bring the book signed so I knew his parents had seen it.

27 Apr 2010