Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How do you form classes in your school?    

How do you form classes in your school?

epit
Turkey

How do you form classes in your school?

Hi friends ,I have got a simple question.How do you form your classes at the begining of education year?                                                                                       a )You don �t differ the pupils. They go on the same classes  that they attended the previous year                                                                                                              b)They are groupped  according to their success levels                                                                                                                           c)They make group according to their multiply intelligences as the result of the test .Why am  I asking ?We don �t usually make that kind of seperations but I wa<nt to learn which one is better ? Hugs

25 Apr 2010      

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

In Puerto Rico the school system work according to their needs  i have work in private schools that grouped according to discipline, some have groups according to their grades . in public i havent notice any kind of separation. i think it is better to grouped them by level because at least for me it is very difficult to differentiate instruction when you have students with very basic knowledge in groups where we have advanced students.  either the basic student will stay behind or the advanced will get bored. when i have had groups by levels i have been able to work with their needs and noticed  they have learned more.

25 Apr 2010     

reeta1
Canada

In Canada, for example, if I taught grade 5, I would sit with the principal, the Guidance counsellor, and the grade 4 teachers, and the other grade 5 teachers. Then the grade 4 teachers would take their class lists and we would divy up the students, according to parent requests, whether the student is high, medium or low, and whether they are in special education. Then the next day, I would have a meeting with the grade 6 teachers, and we would do the same thing. Some schools favor parent requests, some don �t.

25 Apr 2010     

Ajdol
Poland

unfortunately students in my school are not divided in any possible way;/ it is just a group of 25 people . each of them is on a different stage,level of language knowledge. it �s horrible. I tried many times to persuade the headmaster to do sth with this issue but there is no response;/

25 Apr 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
big hello to you all, who are about to discuss important things

I �m from Portugal and, no matter how much I complain, in my very own, small and specific school ( all all over the whole country )l what we have been doing for the last twenty years is a big mess. Calling up higher interests of integration ( ??? ) we have tons of different levels in the same class, even children with special difficulties. This means that we can �t reach everyone and, sometimes, groups of but a few students, in a class, are left off, either because they have lots of difficulties or because they are super good. We have classes of about 30 and it is " supposed " that we can and must and should do different tasks, different curricula different ... everything..., because our kids are all different ; so,what do you do?
A mess.
Those who have economical opportunities, private, can get a different aproach, either they have big difficulties or they are over what is expected for their level. But... the ones who can only count on the system, what can we do?
I believe all, but all kids deserve opportunities, but we have to select things so as to manage to work our best with all of them.
If I get one, or 5, or 7 kids who need a special approach, what to I do with the others?
If I have, and I do have, this school year, a super class, with some five kids who need special attention, special approach and, at the same time this same class has a group of special kids. I have two over gifted children, they have just had their 9th birthday, they are in a class of ten ,11,12 . They are our best students, but the system has nothing to do to reward them or leave them free to go on their own wheels. Such a pity, my country is wasting excellence  and, we, teachers, are here just to look at - there is nothing we can do.

I would like to see this problem widely discussed in international forums.
Thanks for having brought such a special problem, if this thread goes on, may be we can discuss here dome ways of solving it, may be some of us have different experiences from which we can learn.
thanks
linda

25 Apr 2010     

cecio_13
Argentina

I work in a private school where children are divided in three groups: Advanced, Intermediate and Elementary. 
Hugs,
Ceci

25 Apr 2010