Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > ABC    

ABC

carinita
Argentina

ABC

Have you ever taught the abc to young students and adults? Would you leave your suggestions here? I �m about to plan a lesson to teach the alphabet. I teach english as a foreign language...Basic english Thanks

25 Apr 2010      

clau
Argentina

Hi! I have taught the alphabet to both, young learners and also adults.
For young learners, you have a lot of interesting resources such as songs, games and poems. I have been teaching children for 7 years and two years ago I started teaching adults.
When I learnt that I had to teach the alphabet I didn �t know what to do, since  I was used to teach it through the use of songs, games, etc...
I must say that I shouldn �t have been nervous because it was a very interesting class, and very simple, which is important when teaching adults. What I did was to simply present the letters, starting with the vowels and then moving on to the consonants. Sts repeated them and then we just practised spelling (their names, family names, etc). The next class, while we were revising spelling, I suggested making groups and classifying the letters according to their sounds. They found this very interesting and they said it was easier to remember them by looking at their lists.

25 Apr 2010     

cely
Argentina

Hi Carinita!
I like to present the ABC, according to the letters � sounds, and then I sometimes practise with a "half dictation game" (you can use it ti revise vocabulary too) and another thing most sts. like is to play "hangman".
I hope it �s useful fo you.
A hug. Cely

26 Apr 2010     

cacucacu
Argentina

Hello Cari again! We I was in first form I used to group letter sounds according to colours and their sound. Eg Letter which rhyme with green: b,c,d,e,g,p,t, z. Red: f,h,l, m, n, s grey: a, j, k
yellow: o white: i, y purple:r. I would show the colours first and they I �d tell them to listen to the sound the letters make and I �d ask them also to help me put the letter with the colour they sound alike. This activity is really useful especially for little kids because they need to have some visual aid to remember the sound. And whenever they �d  make a mistake I �d only remind them of the colour they sound like. I hope you find it useful.
Remember you also have songs to teach the alphabet which are very good too!
Kisses
Naty

26 Apr 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Yes I definitely will use colors so as to group letters according to sounds...that �s the way I learnt the alphabet myself And Cely...I �ve found another version for hangman on the internet: parachute man Smile And Clau... I �ll have them spelling their names, it �ll help me memorize them...they �ll learn the abc and I �ll learn their names LOL It �s going to be grrreeaattt Thank u!

26 Apr 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Naty, I got to know the poem you �ve just posted in a very difficult moment. A friend gave me a card with that poem as a present . It helped me a lot to overcome the difficulties. I like it very much.

26 Apr 2010     

Sarah B
Austria

Through song - The ABC song

Games - Hangman, children always love this, ABC bingo

Get them to write the date on the board everyday and their classmates have to spell it for them

Get pupils to spell their name for you and write it on the board.

Concentrate on particularly difficult letters ( I work in a German speaking country) and the pupils find letters such as,  i e q  w v h j g difficult to remember.

26 Apr 2010     

douglas
United States

Hangman works for adults too!

26 Apr 2010