Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > GORGEOUS    

GORGEOUS

aloga
Spain

GORGEOUS

I need your help, if possible native speakers, though anybdoy is welcome.

IS IS POSSIBLE TO USE GORGEOUS TO DESCRIBE A LANDSCAPE?

Thanks, dear colleagues.

27 Apr 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Of course it is!! :))

27 Apr 2010     

aloga
Spain

Thanks a lot!

27 Apr 2010     

dennismychina
China

It is possible but I wouldn�t use it to describe a landscape unless it involved a lot of colour eg a vineyard, an orchard, an autumn scene or something similar. You wouldn�t in fact be describing the landscape as such, more the colours involved. That�s my thought anyway.

27 Apr 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Seconded, dennismychina.

27 Apr 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I agree with dennismychina, but it�s clear anyway that you only call a landscape GORGEOUS when it does have beautiful colours! One wouldn �t call any other kind of landscape gorgeous, would they?? I thought that �s a basic prerequisite, isn �t it? ;))

27 Apr 2010     

Zora
Canada

Ok, I am going to disagree a bit on this one... Many women, like me, who like to exaggerate at times, will say "Oh my, that is simply gorgeous!"... And I could be referring to colours, the sunset, a way something is shaded... or just something that I think is wonderful like a dilapidated barn in a field that is surrounded by flowers.

"Gorgeous" is an extreme adjective and therefore we often determine what is "gorgeous" in our minds or to us. Smile

27 Apr 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

a "gorgeous" chocolate cake, comes to mind...oh and let �s not forget Mr.... George....Clooney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It �s a very girly adjective. 

27 Apr 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello
You won �t believe me, I bet, but this is the truth. I remember quite well the fist time I saw this strange word; for me it has ever been a strange word and I rarely use it; the first time I was reading Tom Sawyer �s Adventures,  he / the narrator ( not sure ) said: "it was a gorgeous day".
At that time, I was about, let �s us say 12 years old. I never looked up in the dictionary the words I didn �t know, I just guessed them, by the whole paragraph and I felt quite happy that I managed to understand the "whole". That time I decided I had to look up in the dictionary.
So, it was not a gorgeous landscape, but a gorgeous day and, I think, a gorgeous day deserves a gorgeous landscape.

just to wide the problem. Tongue
hugs
linda

27 Apr 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I agree with Linda and Linda!

But, if Mark Twain wrote it - then it �s ok with me!

On the other hand - I would most often say - It �s absolutely beautiful!

27 Apr 2010     

aloga
Spain

You are all so kind.
Thanks for your help.
Ana

27 Apr 2010