Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > dealing with a talkative class    

dealing with a talkative class

cheezels
New Zealand

Quote: There is a lot of psychology behind the reasons why I use this method. I don �t want to go into them now because to fully understand it would require a high school Graduate Diploma in Education.   Ray

Ray. I am not sure of what you are implying here. But it comes across as saying we wouldn �t understand it because we do not have the level of education needed.
Just to let you know most of us here are fully qualified with university degrees in teaching and education from our various countries.

If I have misunderstood what you have written, then I apologise.

3 May 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I hate to admit it but I bribe my students. If someone is working well on their written work I give them a sweet. If someone answers particularly well they get a sweet. It �s a small thing to do but I find they respond to it.

Silence is a good tool. Say nothing and just wait for the noise to die down. It �s hard at first but they will respond. No one likes silence!

I have signs which say "Shush � and "be quiet". I just hold them up and wait for silence. I refuse to continue with a noisy class and I will not talk to people who are not listening. Again it works.

Keep the games as a reward at the end of the lesson... �vinegar � first, �honey � next!

My intial classes when I first started teaching numbered 40 plus children all under 11 years old. I had to develop some techniques.

Charts do work but there must be some sort of reward attached and the teacher must remember to update them instantly.
Cheers Joy

3 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

Actually (joking aside) these are all great methods and there are loads more but what happens when none of them work?

A few years ago, I had the class from HELL! I �d just moved to my current job and I used to feel physically sick before teaching them. I tried everything - points for good and bad behaviour, negatives, star charts - you name it, I tried it. Nothing worked, my boss couldn �t do anything and it was the year from hell.

I �ve never had a class like that since (thank God!) and my students this year are lovely! My colleague has a nightmare class - worse than mine, if you can imagine - and it �s making her ill. She �s tried everything, even gone to classroom management seminars etc and nothing works with them.

Does anyone have any completely different suggestions for when all else fails?

Lindsey

3 May 2010     

Begogzp
Mexico

Hello
   I use Happy dollars for them......And they like them a lot.....I give Happy Dollars to them when they have a good mark in her exams or classwork and also for homework.You can tell them that they are going to win a happy dollar if they behave good and they are going to use them when they need points on an exam etc. Really it works.
   I hope this idea can be useful for you
Thanks
Bego�a

3 May 2010     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Thanks! I use a golden star for good behavior and it helps a lot. I didn�t have anything for bad behavior yet.
I�ve told them that if someone knows the rules and breaks them he/she should be "punished" in some way. They started to give ideas of possibles ways to deal with that. One of the ideas had to do with the happy/sad faces chart.
I thought that after three sad faces (meaning a really bad behavior) the student should sign "the red book".hehehe

3 May 2010     

< Previous   1    2