Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Lamb and .........?    

Lamb and .........?

miss noor
Palestine

Lamb and .........?

Hi,

if the meat which we get from young sheep is called lamb, what about if it comes from old sheep . What is it called ??

3 May 2010      

Zora
Canada

It is called "mutton". 

3 May 2010     

dennismychina
China

It �s called mutton.

3 May 2010     

miss noor
Palestine

Thanks a lot

3 May 2010     

sulekra
Australia

You can also use �hogget �, which is over a year old. I don �t know how old a sheep has to be to be �mutton �, but I tend to imagine a pretty old animal...

3 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Generally speaking, if the beast is over 2 years old, it �s mutton. If the butcher wants you to think it �s younger (and so, more expensive), he�ll dress it accordingly (preparation and display), whence the idiomatic phrase mutton dressed as lamb: a middle-aged person (nowadays of either sex) desperately trying to look a lot younger.

Mehhhh!

3 May 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

�Old � for sheep meant to be eaten is over 1 year. 

Sheep younger than 1 year: lamb.
Sheep older than 1 year: mutton.

4 May 2010     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Generally speaking, if the beast is over 2 years old, it �s mutton. If the butcher wants you to think it �s younger (and so, more expensive), he�ll dress it accordingly (preparation and display), whence the idiomatic phrase mutton dressed as lamb: a middle-aged person (nowadays of either sex) desperately trying to look a lot younger.

Mehhhh!

Thats great almaz,, My mother often used that expression, as I often do still. I did not know the origin was from butchers window though.

Great!

4 May 2010