Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > DOUBT - CONNECTORS    

DOUBT - CONNECTORS

Fallen Angel
Portugal

DOUBT - CONNECTORS

Hi, there!

I guess I need your help! Please, have a look at this sentence:

�The Beatles released more than 40 different singles, albums and EPs that reached number one, _____________ earning more number one albums than any other group in UK chart. (Consequence)

The right connector for me is only thus, nevertheless maybe I�m wrong. Could �therefore� or �consequently� be used too? I don�t think so, but I�m not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Cristina

8 May 2010      

plemos
Portugal

therefore

8 May 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Both consequently and therefore can be used because consequently
 means �therefore �,  but consequence can�t be used.

8 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Cristina,

Your first instinct (intuition?) is correct:  thus
, old-fashioned as it may sound, is more appropriate. It can be re-formulated as �and so/and because of this ... �

Of the other options, �consequently � would be preferable to �therefore �.

8 May 2010     

hokage8002
Tunisia

first, I see that your second sentence misses a subject  and verb.   (earning is a gerund) the connectors you �ve suggested are usually followed by a full sentence that necessarily must have a subject and verb. and they are both possible because talking about the Beatles is informal. we don �t really need to use formal connector such as "thus".  

9 May 2010     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Well, Hokage8002, the second sentence doesn �t  need a a subject and a verb, just the right connector. It wasn �t written by me, it �s just a grammar exercise I came across. So, I can �t  change the sentence, that �s why I chose "thus". I just wanted to know if I could also use "therefore" or "consequently" , because you �re right, these two connectors are usually followed by a clause.  But can they be used here? That �s my doubt!
Thanks
Hugs from Portugal,
Cristina

9 May 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I agree with almaz. You �re right Fallen Angel:

thus is the word to use here.

9 May 2010     

hokage8002
Tunisia

Now I can give my own suggestion. Since the second part of your sentence is not a finite clause, you may not use thus, therefore or consequently. In this case I �ll suggest �hence � as it can be followed by a noun phrase. 
thanks for this fruitful discussion. 

9 May 2010     

margax
Spain

THUS, DEFINITELY SOUNDS BETTER TO ME HERE.

9 May 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I �ve had another look at this sentence.

It would be better if the sentence contained them =(The Beatles) -It �s not really correct the way it is.

The Beatles released more than 40 different singles, albums and EPs that reached number one, _____________ earning them more number one albums than any other group in the UK chart. (Consequence)

You could use consequently / thus / hence ( a bit formal)  but it �s not really necessary.

The Beatles released more than 40 different singles, albums and EPs that reached number one, earning them more number one albums than any other group in the UK chart.

9 May 2010