Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > VOCABULARY ACTIVITIES. HELP ME!!!    

VOCABULARY ACTIVITIES. HELP ME!!!

lypau
Mexico

VOCABULARY ACTIVITIES. HELP ME!!!

I �m giving a special course where I teach a lot of vocabulary everyday. And I �m supposed to practice it all week and I guess I �m short of ideas and my class is getting repetitive. Can you help me giving me ideas of games or activities to practice vocabulary? Ouch

9 May 2010      

Robbiejane
Australia

My advice would be to go slowly, using 1 or 2 main ideas each lesson to be practicing the vocabulary.

E.g.�
Day 1: Look at pictures of the target vocabulary. Students work in groups to work out/make guesses of what each picture is. Walk around giving some clues, listening to their responses. Students share their responses, and then you tell them each of the words and clarify meanings for those unsure.�

Day 2: Quick 5 min revision of same pictures from yesterday. What are the target words this week? Give the beginning letter for a clue if they are unsure. Play whole class bingo with words and pictures. Students then break into groups and can play bingo themselves. (Keep in mind that bingo for ESL learners can be played in so many different ways- and can be kept all week for early finishers to go on with).

Day 3 and 4: Writing task using vocabulary words. Categorize words into groups with cut up pictures from magazine, worksheet activity, simple surveys among class members, finding related words/information in books/internet etc

Day 5: Revision. You could give them a talk to practice over the week - which they then practice on friday. It could be a test, for them (and you) to see how they progressed. It could be using the language learnt to then put it into practice (for example within a role play situation: At the restaurant etc).

Hope this helps!!!
Robbiejane

9 May 2010