Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > doing so-in doing so-by doing so    

doing so-in doing so-by doing so

ironik
Australia

doing so-in doing so-by doing so

good morning everyone and happy mother �s day to all the mothers in ESLprintables!Heart

I �d like to ask a question concerning the usage of "doing so" "in doing so" and "by doing so" in context. Are they different? Should we start a new sentence or put a comma or semi-colon?

e.g. is this sentence correct? or should I use "in doing so" here?

Presenting my students not just the language but also world knowledge is essential to me; doing so, I prefer to be creative and use innovative techniques in the class.�

Thanks for your time�Smile

9 May 2010      

yolprica
Spain

I would use "by doing so".
Yolanda

9 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Yolanda.

"In doing so" is a little more on the side of possibility rather than reality, but very difficult to explain. I �ll try with this example.

He spoke very bluntly to his boss. In doing so, he hurt his chances of a promotion.  [It isn �t easy to see, but this sentence is a little hypothetical, but very little]

He spoke very bluntly to his boss. By doing so, he hurt his chances of a promotion.  [This sentence is very real and definite]

"Doing so" would be a gerund, which behaves like a noun:
He spoke very bluntly to his boss. Doing so hurt his chances of a promotion.  [The meaning is the same as "by doing so", but it becomes the subject of the sentence]

The difference in meaning is so slight that there �s no danger of being misunderstood using any of the three options.

Bruce

9 May 2010     

ironik
Australia

thanks to you both :))

9 May 2010