Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > He is Tom, She is Mary    

He is Tom, She is Mary

annabelle1654
Germany

He is Tom, She is Mary

Hi All,

How would you teach "he is" "she is" would you say He is Tom, is that okay, or is there a better way to teach, I am, You are, He is, She is, ....Any ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Belles

9 May 2010      

Laly59
Spain

Hello Annabelle, I think that if you teach to children the four basic ways: speaking, listening, reading and writing, it�s very important that chindren memorize a complete tense, each pronoun with the each corresponding way of the verb acording to th tense. Anyway you must watch to children. Every chindren don�t learn of the same way. I hope this reason be useful.

9 May 2010     

Akanah
Spain

Hi! I teach verb to be using simple adjectives and mimic. For example:
I am tall (point to myself and rise my hand)
You are short (point to a pupil and low my hand)
She is good (point a girl and put my hands together mimicking a good girl)
And so on...
You should first teach the adjectives mimicking them always in the same way (repetition with young kids really works)
You could also print pics representing the adjectives and give them to the kids. They put the pieces of paper on their foreheads and one by one, the say: I am + adjective + mimic / You are + pointing and mimicking...
Put all the printed cards in a bag, one kid (in front of all the class) takes one out and hides his face behind a big piece of paper while mimicking (the rest of the kids shouldn �t be able to see him) Then, one by one they ask the kid "Are you tall?" and the kid answer. When someone gives the right adjective, the kid puts down the piece of paper mimicking. I write the answers and sentences on the board the first days.
Hope this helps you, it works with my kids :=)
Olga

9 May 2010     

imanito
Morocco

hi!
It is incorrect to say"he is Tom". We say "it is Tom; this is Tom; that is Tom"
As for how to teach he is and she is, you can write sentences with the proper name as a subject, then rewrite the sentence with it �s equivalent personal pronoun as subject:
e.g.
- Tom is a doctor.
* He is a doctor.
- Mary is an engineer.
* She is an engineer.
 I think this can be thought as part of verb to be conjugation.
you can write the whole conjugation of the verb to be and explain it to sts, then give them an activity to practise. e.g. you can say a personal pronoun and ask a student to provide the right form of the verb to be, and so on and so forth until u use all the personal pronouns.
you can also provide proper and common names in plural and singular forms and ask sts to provide the corresponding personal pronoun along with the right form of the verb.

I hope this will help!
Good luck.

9 May 2010