Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > How to teach Present Continuous using the subject "Media"?    

How to teach Present Continuous using the subject "Media"?

Takenori
Chile

How to teach Present Continuous using the subject "Media"?

Hi everybody! I hope everything is ok in your life =)

Lately. I �ve been doing private classes with my student. We work 1 hour and half the unit she is working at school twice at week. On that time, we make funny classes with songs, flashcards, guessing the verbs, etc (She is 12 years old)

My doubt is that she has been studying PRESENT CONTINUOUS linking with the subject "MEDIA such as: cellphones, texting messages, computers". Apparently, there is not any doubt with the grammar structure, BUT her teacher from school is requering to my student MEMORIZE A PARAGRAPH from the book (it �s so weird too me) So, I don �t know how to do that.

Do you have any idea, games or material of Present Continuous related with media AND how to teach these topics properly?

Thanks in advance :)

13 May 2010      

atsanti85
Canada

Hey Takenori,
Here are some ideas...
Since present continuous is used to emphasize what is happening AT THE MOMENT... maybe you can focus your questions like this...

"What are you usually doing when you receive a text?"
"Who are you usually talking to when you chat on the computer?"

Another way to get your student to reflect/think about media while using present continuous is to ask her to write a story in the present progressive tense showing how much media plays a part in her life.  

Ex. It is morning and I �m waking up.  I am hearing an advertisement which is playing on the radio...

And as for memorizing, there are lots of memorization techniques she can use.  

Hope that helps.

13 May 2010     

Takenori
Chile

Wow! thanks for your tips atsanti!
I �m gonna take notes about them :)

I really appreciate your advices (Y)

13 May 2010