Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Looking for an adjective    

Looking for an adjective

subzeroking
Iran

Looking for an adjective

Can anyone help me please! I couldn �t find this myself.
I �m looking for a word in English - an adjective actually - that describes a person who, as a result of having unresolved feelings, tends to make trouble for other people and can �t see them happy. For instance: say someone has had a bad childhood, and say they were very poor and always jealous of others. Over time this constant feeling becomes something like a knot. (by knot I mean sth tied up and unresolved)
What �s this thing called? and is there an adjective which describes this person?
I thank you in advance!

13 May 2010      

kodora
Greece

The adjective I could think of is begrudged=feeling that people do not deserve the pleasant things they have got or been given and you feel resentful or envious about them.
Dora

13 May 2010     

Petpet
Czech Republic

Hello sub,

what about "bitter"?
Not sure if this is what you were exactly looking for, but maybe some natives could express their views...

One of the definitions here http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bitter sounds close to what you might have meant.
6. Marked by resentment or cynicism: "He was already a bitter elderly man with a gray face" (John Dos Passos).

Petra

13 May 2010     

little rat
France

Bitter

13 May 2010     

subzeroking
Iran

Thank you guys so much. "bitter" sounds about right. Although if someone can suggest something more colloquial, it �d be great. maybe a slang or something.
Also what feelings a bitter person bears?

13 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Someone with a �chip on their shoulder �.

13 May 2010     

Petpet
Czech Republic

--- Also what feelings a bitter person bears?
What about "bitterness" or "bearing grudge against someone"?

13 May 2010     

Apodo
Australia

He �s very resentful.

He �s grown up with a real chip on his shoulder. (Best colloquialism I think)

He �s very bitter. (or bitter and twisted - but that �s a cliche)

14 May 2010     

Homeless Turtle
United States

I wouldn�t recommend teaching this to your students (they will probably learn it on their own anyway) if they don �t already know it. This is how we say "jealous/bitter" using American slang...

Hate: (Verb) To be jealous of another person �s success.

Possible uses...

"Don �t hate the player, hate the game."

"Don �t hate (on me.)"

"You �re a hater!"

Player Hate: (Verb) To disapprove of the tactics of players. Often used by a player (or someone accused of being a player) to convey their displeasure at someone �s complaints or disapproval. Often pronounced "playa hate."

Possible uses...

"Man, why you got to player hate?"

"Don �t player hate; congratulate!"

You can look here if you have any questions.

14 May 2010     

subzeroking
Iran

I gotta thank you all! You �ve been very helpful!
Well, I think I better go with "bitter" and "chip on their shoulder". They are closer to what I mean. Although I think "chip on their shoulder" if used alone conveys a rather temporary feeling, or a feeling towards a specific person. Am I right?
* And a special thanks to "Homeless Turtle" for his explanation on the slang. It was really interesting.
This question came up when one of my colleagues asked about it in the office. He was looking for the equivalent of a word in English that has the same function as it does in our mother tongue (Farsi).

14 May 2010