Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I go to work by car....word order    

I go to work by car....word order

blunderbuster
Germany

I go to work by car....word order

Hi,

How would you explain the order of the parts in this sentence?

I go to work by car together with my uncle.

I can �t really find any info on what to to with these prepositional phrases and why so.....

Hoping for help.

Thanks

18 May 2010      

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

first to work is not a prep phrase is an infinitive, secondly i dont quite understand what you are asking, can you elaborate in the problem?

18 May 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

"Together with" is a Germanism (zusammen mit) and not used by native speakers in fluent English.

"I go to work by car" is also an artificial formulation that people don �t actually say.

We say:
My uncle and I drive to work together.

My uncle and I take his car to work.

I catch a ride with my uncle to work.

My uncle drives me to work.
My uncle drops me off at work.

18 May 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Yes, absolutely have to agree with Mary. It sounds rather unnatural to say "i go to work by car" - I won �t say it �s never said, just that it �s not really common. I googled both options and added "UK" (although you may of course be more interested in US English or another) and there was a major difference in the number of results.

Just by the by I wouldn �t say "I go to work on foot" either which is phrase learners often use but "i walk to work" .

Hope this helps in some way.

All the best

18 May 2010     

Akanah
Spain

Hi! If you ask "How do you go to work?" what do you native speakers answer? Maybe "I drive my car to work"? Or in this case "I go to work by car" is ok?
Regards,
Olga

18 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

I disagree with Liz about "to work". We use "work" as a place, so "to work" is a prepositional phrase, like "to school" or "to the office".

I agree with the others that "by car" is not an expression we use. It doesn �t sound freaky, but I don �t think I �ve ever said it. If you ask, "How do yo go to work?", I might give the short answer "by bus" or "by train", but not "by car." I drive to work.

I hope we aren �t making a mess of your question. You �ve gotten some really good replies.

Bruce

19 May 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

In Canada I have often heard people answer "by car" when asked "how do you go to work ?"

19 May 2010     

dturner
Canada

In Canada, we always say "I go by car."  I �m going by car, truck, motorcycle or any other form of transportation.  It is a natural way to say this and perhaps it is a Canadianism, I don �t know.  But I do know this is the expression I would use.  BBTW, we also say, "I �m going to work on foot.".  

19 May 2010     

Babs1966
France

I agree with Bruce about "To work" on that case work is the location we go to and not the activity we do ...

I think, the expression ...  going by car ...., bus, plane .... is more British English.

I lived in the States and It �s true I never heard anyone talking like that.

How did you get to work this morning? I took a cab (cab=taxis)
                                                              I drove my car
                                                              I took the bus
                                                              I came with a friend .....

19 May 2010     

bienke
Belgium

This is how I teach it (UK English)

When there are several adverbs or adjuncts in one sentence, they are all put at the end, in the following order: Manner, time, place (think of the word eMPTy) , but when the verb expresses a movement place comes first.
e.g.: I go to work by car (go expresses movement place = work, manner = by car)
        I will take my car to the store tomorrow (manner, place, time--> take doesn �t express movement) or I have been working hard in the garden all day.

19 May 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

My answer to your question would be;  I go to work with my uncle by car.

19 May 2010     

1    2    Next >