Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Good manners    

Good manners

viccxx
Greece

Good manners

Please everybody, stop using capital letter when you type...In computer language it �s like shouting at everybody. We �re all friends here, right?

22 May 2010      

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear Viccxx,

Well, you�re talking about Netiquette.In internet conventions, Capital letters are  classed as shouting. I do understand that they have an angry connotation, as if you are screaming it instead of saying it. For example, if someone said �hey, whats up?� opposed to �HEY, WHATS UP?� , the capital letters make the person look hyper or anxious.

However, I don �t think that some members who use caps mean any kind of bad manners, plus I don�t take it as offensive. On my part, I may use big letters to emphasize a point, or I highlight things to attract others � attention. Well, I think it �s related to each one �s way of expression .

Just a thought.....

Best wishes,
Nebal

22 May 2010     

donapeter
Romania

I use them to highlight smth, to underline ( LOL ) smth important. 

22 May 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello,

I �ve never meant using capital letters for expressing of saying something loudly or shouting. I think it always goes with the context, if you mean it as emphasizing or shouting... I think it �s different when you type, for instance, "PAST SIMPLE" and "STOP IT PLEASE", isn �t it?

I cannot see any good reasons why to limit (forbid?) using capital letters on the forum and why to push people to avoid them... It �s like saying, "hey everybody, let �s only have nice and smiling avatars" LOL

After all, I think that what is more important is the context, the form is second.... or?

kind regards,

ZUZANA :)))

22 May 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

By error when I registered on the site I used capital letters for my name.  I did not want to emphasise anything it was just a mistake.  I would have to agree with ZUZANA to me there is a difference depending on what you type.Smile

22 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hey Viccxx, your picture scares me. May I kindly ask you to change it? ;o)

Caps means shouting?! Who made that a rule? One person said it and the other believed it? Some places don �t give you any other way to emphasize part of what you are saying.

GIOVANNI, you can change your username into giovanni ;o) The systems allows you to do so.

Regards

22 May 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

...perhaps people mean to shoutWink...sometimes...
I respect rules, but sometimes you just need to emphasize stuff. I believe we have become a bit too touchy about some unimportant things, due to all kinds of stress... no offence, Viccxx, I �m sometimes too touchy about some things as well, and then later on it seems like I made a mountain out of a molehill. I respect your opinion, but I agree with Zuzana - it should be about what is being said, not what the letters look like!

22 May 2010