Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a confusion    

a confusion

eglantine
Turkey

a confusion

After we had been travelling for about 45 minutes , there was still no sign of the town which was marked on the map.By this time, we had begun / began to get worried.I looked at the fuel gauge
How would you complete the sentence past simple or past perfect?
Thank you for your kind help in advance.

24 May 2010      

Ximenne
Armenia

I �d say the right answer is "began", as its part of the main narration. Have a nice day!

24 May 2010     

serene
Greece

I �m afraid I �ll disagree with you, Ximenne. In my opinion the correct answer is:
By this time, we had begun to get worried.
"By this time" indicates that we had begun to get worried before we realised there was still no sign of the town (not after that).

24 May 2010     

duygu_85
Turkey

I strongly disagree with you Serene! The reason of being worried is realising that there was no sign. I mean first they realised that there was no sign then they got worried.So the correct answer is � �began � �

24 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

eglantine,

You �ve already used a past perfect (continuous) at the beginning (After we had been travelling...). I �d suggest, stylistically speaking at least, that a past continuous might be better since you �re suggesting a new progressive action kicking off (by this time, we were beginning to get worried).

24 May 2010     

Heloss
Spain

Past perfect with no doubt because it says "by that time", which means that the action had started before that.

24 May 2010     

eglantine
Turkey

Thank you all who really try to help me in this question but maybe a native speaker can also help us make the answer clear because I think we still have disagreement.

24 May 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Hello everyone,
Serene �s answer is correct.  
By that time always signals the end of an interval of time that began in the past

By the time I was 10, I had already learned to ride my bike.
When I was 10, I learned to ride my bike.

They have completely different meanings.  By the time signals a previous past time.

:) Hope that settles some things.

Aileen

P.S., The sentence  "At this time, we began to feel worried" would work.

24 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

I completely agree with Aileen (who agrees with Selene and Heloss) about both "by this time" and "at this time".

Bruce

24 May 2010