Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Have you heard about the "cognitive load" theory?    

Have you heard about the "cognitive load" theory?

blunderbuster
Germany

Have you heard about the "cognitive load" theory?

Just wondering. How has it affected (will it affect) your teaching?

Regards

25 May 2010      

gkole70
United States

Cognitive load is a very appealing learning theory with a LOT of applicaiblity to language teaching and learning. It deals with the architecture of cognition and information processing, and suggests ways that we might maximize the effects of our teaching by taking into account the limitations of working memory and the capacity for learning within a certain �schema �, or well-developed background, with information grouped or presented in certain beneficial ways. It affects the ways that I present and structure lessons, and is closely related to �scaffolding � learning through a series of language activities which progress from more to less supported as students gain confidence and competence. Sorry to sound all academic!!! Would love to hear what others think as well. PEACE!

25 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Considering the students � congnitive load is much higher while learning in L2 (they need to translate AND understand information at the same time! while in L1 they only need to undersand information) I �d say of course it affects our teaching. The most vivid example, I think, is when you see sts trying to think of an answer: you give them some thinking time, the answer is correct , in concept, but the expression in English is not - teaching EFL.
gkole is right about scaffolding, it �s absolutely necessary when taking their cognitive load into account, at least that �s what I think.

25 May 2010     

ASA3000
Egypt

Have a look at this article:

http://www.editlib.org/d/25229/article_25229.pdf

Good luck :)

25 May 2010     

andreaewa
Uruguay

Very interesting article! thanks!

25 May 2010     

gkole70
United States

Yes, I agree! Interesting article, ASA3000. Thanks!

25 May 2010