Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > small or little?    

small or little?

MarionG
Netherlands

small or little?

Can someone explain to me when to use �small � and when to use �little �?
What is the rule? Often they seem interchangeable but sometimes one or the other just doesn �t sound right. I must admit I cannot think of a consistent rule...
Can anyone help?

26 May 2010      

savvinka
Russian Federation

A very good question! I know the rule, but for me a little boy and a small boy sounds  same.
I don �t feel the difference  like natives do.

26 May 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

WORD CHOICE
small, little
Small is a very general word for talking about the size of something 
� a small village 
� a small man 
� He had small brown eyes. 
� The envelope was too small. 
� Do you have this shirt in a smaller size?
Little is used, especially in spoken English, to show how you feel about someone or something small, for example to show that you like them, dislike them, or feel sorry for them 
� What lovely little cakes! 
� her horrid little dog
!! You can say �smaller � or �smallest �, but do not say �littler � or �littlest � 
� Her feet are even smaller (NOT littler/more little) than mine.
!! You can use words like �quite �, �very � and �too � in front of small, but do not use them with little 
� a very small car (NOT very little car)

26 May 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

.....In some situations "little" sounds more juvenile than "small", so I �d avoid "little" in extremely formal situations, but otherwise there �s no difference that I can detect.
Small is used most of the time when forming comparatives and superlatives. [...]this means is that "little" can be used as a quantifier, denoting the amount of something, whereas "small" denotes size. There are some odd differences that you will run across, .... For instance, little carries an emotional factor that small usually does not: a strange little creature, a little troublemaker. Also, little tends to be more a premodifier: You made some small/little mistakes vs your mistakes were small / (?) little.  �Little � is often used in a derogatory and abstract sense as in: of little importance/significance. Little help was offered to the poor. (not much) She showed little interest in his remarks. Small often relates to physical size with objects/people - a small person/ a small present/gift.....
                                 From one of the chats in the net

26 May 2010     

frenchfrog
France

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv339.shtml

26 May 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thank you Savvinka and Frenchfrog!
Sometimes it is very hard to put a rule on something you do intuitively.
Telling my students that something simply doesn �t �sound right � doesn �t really work.
OOh, wouldn �t it be wonderful if that did work!

26 May 2010     

Babs1966
France

Thanks for the link Frenchfrog ;) It �s very useful

Good day to all,

Babs

26 May 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Nice link FF - thanx Thumbs Up

Little is also often used with emotion e.g.

She/he (adult)  is behaving like a little child

What a cute little house

Cheers

Jayho

26 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

Hi,
I have one comment to add about the part taken from the chat in the net:

>�Little � is often used in a derogatory and abstract sense as in: of little >importance/significance. Little help was offered to the poor. (not much) She showed little >interest in his remarks.

This part is good, but it misses an important point. "Small" is not usually used with uncountable nouns, which is the reason "little" is used in the examples quoted.

Bruce

26 May 2010     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot, dear Marion for bringing up this question in the forum. Tongue

And thanks a million to savvinka, Frenchfrog, Jayho and yanogator for your help! Hug

26 May 2010