Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > TV or T.V.? I Do Wonder!!!    

TV or T.V.? I Do Wonder!!!

Nebal
Lebanon

TV or T.V.? I Do Wonder!!!

Hello wonderful teachers,

I have a big wonder , and need your opinions.

Is T.V. accepted to indicate "television �"? 

Which is more commomnly used "T.V." or "TV" ? Why?

Thanks in advance.
Nebal

27 May 2010      

dennismychina
China

TV is the abbreviation of television. TV is used as television is one word.

27 May 2010     

stexstme
France

TV : no points, as there are not two words... ;o)

27 May 2010     

Babs1966
France

I agree with Dennismychina
Personaly I never seen T.V. written this way ;)
Good day

27 May 2010     

Zora
Canada

I �d use T.V. ... but after looking it up; I see both are acceptable.

"Television (often abbreviated to TV, T.V., or more recently, tv; sometimes called telly, the tube, boob tube, or idiot box in British English) is a widely used telecommunication system for broadcasting and receiving moving pictures and sound over a distance. The term may also be used to refer specifically to a television set, programming or television transmission. The word is derived from mixed Latin and Greek roots, meaning "far sight": Greek tele , far, and Latin vision, sight (from video, vis- to see, or to view in the first person).
See more at Wikipedia.org... "

27 May 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

Oh guys, that �s what another teacher kept saying that television is one word. So, there �s no need to put points.
However, I thought the two are correct , just as dear Zora mentioned.

Need more opinions and justifications, please!!
Nebal

27 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

In the early days of television, the usual abbreviation was T.V. For at least 20 years, TV has been used almost exclusively in the US. (See, Babs, you �re just too young to have seen it with the periods). Since Zora would use T.V., it seems that the custom is different in Canada, or at least in that part of Canada (It �s a big country). So, as Zora �s research shows, both are correct.

Bruce

27 May 2010     

Babs1966
France

Thanks so much Bruce ;)
(being half french and half American that could explain my lack of knowing)
But I prefer it to be because of thought as YOUNG Big smile 

27 May 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Nebal

Many moons ago when I went to school we always included the full stop (T.V.) but now we don �t do this (TV).

Out of interest I too googled it and I found this (here):

Showing the ellipsis of letters

Traditionally, in English, abbreviations have been written with a full stop/period/point in place of the deleted part to show the ellipsis of letters, although the colon and apostrophe have also had this role. In the case of most acronyms and initialisms, each letter is an abbreviation of a separate word and, in theory, should get its own termination mark. Such punctuation is diminishing with the belief that the presence of all-capital letters is sufficient to indicate that the word is an abbreviation.

Cheers

Jayho

28 May 2010     

Damielle
Argentina

Hi butterfly, read about the use of full stop in abbreviations here

28 May 2010     

special corner
Saudi Arabia

Actually, i have no idea. But when i was studying we have it with full stops (T.V.)

28 May 2010