Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WHO WAS YOUR FAVOURITE TEACHER AND YOUR FONDEST END-OF-SCHOOL-YEAR MEMORY?    

WHO WAS YOUR FAVOURITE TEACHER AND YOUR FONDEST END-OF-SCHOOL-YEAR MEMORY?

anitarobi
Croatia

WHO WAS YOUR FAVOURITE TEACHER AND YOUR FONDEST END-OF-SCHOOL-YEAR MEMORY?

Dear colleagues!

As this school year is approaching its end and I see many of you asking for advice on how to end the year in a fun, festive and memorable way (some with a play, some with a song...), I was just wondering what we all remember from our own school days? Who was our favourite teacher, which event from the end of our school years do we remember, what still warms our hearts when we think of it...
Let me share some of my memories, hoping you �d share yours. It might give us some new ideas on how to end the school year, or at least warm our hearts.

My favourite teachers ever:
1. my high school English teacher - who was always there for us, whose D-students loved and respected her and knew how to find their way in an English speaking country, who introduced us to the whole new world of learning English through movies, songs, games, and last (but not the least) who found the teacher �s gift in me and nourished it
2. my primary school English teacher - who always looked perfect and taught perfectly(made you want to be a teacher just to be able to look and sound like her), who sang so beautifully that we loved learning through music, who allowed us to have birthday parties as long as we sang in English, who just happened to be my mentor when I was a teacher trainee, who wished us Merry Christmas even when it wasn �t really politically correct in our country...
3. my primary school art teacher - who always gave her lessons outside when the weather allowed it - on meadows, hills, river banks; and who always let us sing during art classes and taught us to wash our art supplies before taking them home....
4. memorable event - my high school physics teacher - she was really a strict one and we respected her and feared her and then one year she surprised us all - we had a girl and a boy in the classroom who were great at imitating people (including, naturally, teachers) so she asked us if we could have our final 3rd year lesson turned into their show - yipeeeeeeeeee.... but only if they also imitated her! She sat in the back and laughed through tears with the rest of us! No need to say - we all loved and respected her even more in the 4th year and I had the best grade in physics during that year...

Would you share yours, pls??? 
PS: Sorry about the long post, I just couldn´t resist it...

27 May 2010      

Nebal
Lebanon

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Anitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,
I �d like to share in your post, but I have to leave home. Soooooooooooo sorry!!!!!!!
Just a quick but not satisfying answer for me.

I was fond of my English and Sciences teachers. I used to be their favourite.

I can still remember my very first best teacher. Her name was Daniel.She was an English teacher who taught me in Grade 4. She was very kind and gentle, loving and warm. She  gave me something that I needed so much- the love of being a teacher. I used to watch her moves, her walk, way of dressing,. In other words, I used to imitate her.

I remember how I used to give her white and red roses every now and then, sometimes write her letters. I loved her more than one can imagine.

I wanna thank her for the great moments I spent with her learnin and enjoyin English.

Nebal

27 May 2010     

Denisa
Romania

Anita dear,
deeeeeeeeeeeep subject you propose!

hmmmm ... my favourite teacher / my mentor I would say, was my French high-school teacher who I was veeeeeery fond of and I still am...just like you and Neby before me said, I used to watch the way she moved, to dress, not even mention how she spoke...I admired her, I loved her, I grasped every word of hers...she was not only our French teacher but our class-master and we learnt from her many, numberless things - in every subject and matter - practical things, from good-manners to common-sense, from literature to painting, from designing to fashion...you name it...she was and is a great scholar and even today when she is my Inspector, I still go to her to ask for advise or just to talk...she is veeeeeeeeeeeeery active and involved in sooooooooo many international projects and I looooove being close to her because she an endless spring of wisdom, energy and positivity.....

27 May 2010     

sphinx63
Egypt

NICE SUBJECT TO TALK ABOUT MY DEAR
 for me i have a lot of teachers who really effected in me for long time espcially on my behaviour
the best teacher of all was my arabic subject teacher in grade 5
still wish to see him till this moment even after 35yrs
thanks for introducing such a matter
my regards

27 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Anita and all ! Definitely for me , was my 3rd grade highschool physics teacher! I remember her vividly, skinny, short hair, always smelled of cigarette smoke... she told us she was a chain smoker but warned us against it ! She was the sweetest person for me, always kind and always patient with explanations ... I was one of the , let �s say, not really smart at physics, and she took my effort into account ... She was one of the teachers who really taught me some things about the teaching profession, things they don �t tell you how to do at teacher training courses ...
My best memory was the graduation trip to a seaside resort 100 km from the city where I live, the capital. We were 17 years old and  had the best week ever, staying at a nice hotel and enjoying the beach everyday (we finish school in December here, and it �s summer).
There were a few other teachers and many other memories, but these are the two I guess I �ll always remember!
Thank you for bringing this up, Anita !!  Hug

27 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

Fantastic topic Anita!

Mine was at primary school. She was my teacher for a year and also the �arts � teacher at the school. She was the first person to encourage me to do more art, music and drama - up until that point I �d been seen only as the precocious brainy student. She made me believe in myself and not just accept labels. The fact that I left England and travel as a teacher is, in at least a small way, owing to her encouragement and belief that I could do anything I put my mind to.

Interestingly enough, I bumped into her in a shop some ten years later while trying to decide between two dresses. I took her recommendation and I still have the dress to this day (although now I wear it as a top with leggings)!

Lindsey

28 May 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Anita
It �s half past midnight and you are calling me for a very, very difficult subject.
They were so many!!!!!!!!!!!!
My first teacher, in primary school, was a very old lady ( at least for me, she was , and she retired after 2 years ) - she was so kind, so lovely, I feel, now, that she was a very special woman - she retired when I was seven - I am 56 - probably no one has ever said she was a sweet tender fantastic teacher, in very, very difficult conditions. I remember most of the kids went to class barefoot - those were very hard days, here, in my country.

So, forgive me, but let me say, now, a big THANK you, to that lovely first teacher. Her name was Laura.

Most of my teachers were fantastic people - I remember all of them, I still remember their names, I could write a book about them, sweet, they were. How I miss them. Some years ago we ( all the students from my school) decided to meet again, in a very, very big party, a dinner to go on through the night, to meet everybody from the old times - we ended up with tears, remembering those who were no longer with us.

However, there is one I can �t forget! My English teacher, for 3 years - the worst you can imagine. So bad, so awful that, when she told me I had to do good in my final examinations to show up how excellent she was....... I answered ( 14 years old ) : I �ll do my best, and , no matter what you think about me,  I �ll be a teacher, I �ll be an English teacher to prove you, we can teach in a very different way, And we �ll meet, and you �ll have to say that I am a good teacher, much better then you "

Never met her again.
So, Anita, it goes like this: if you want a BAD teacher, I can point fingers.
If you want a good teacher, ok, stay and have a seat... I �ll write a book. My teachers were FANTASTIC PEOPLE.

Want to go on with this thread ?  I �ll start to write my book - LOL

Anita, bye, thanks for this thread, I �m off, lees than six hours to sleep. and you know, I am an old woman, I need my rest Thumbs Up

Big hugs

How is your little one doing? Has she already said : " Mummy, I �m hungry ?"
No,!!???
 poor you, she just cries, is it, ? and you have to guess what she wants?
I know, I know, I remember those days fairly well
Kisses, off to bed
linda

28 May 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi!

This is a very easy question for me to answer: my mom.

My mom was a teacher and I grew up watching her at home and at work because I went to the same school where she worked. Although I never had her as my teacher, the passion for her work was passed from mother to daughter. We both were in different subjects of teaching. She was a teacher aid, I ended up in ESL and we even were both teaching at the same school for a couple of years.

I would never be the teacher (and person) I am today without her.

28 May 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Such wonderful stories... So glad you all shared - never stop. Manonski, you just reminded me what my son told me the other day - he �s 7 and a half now and while he was in kindergarten,  he had the opportunity to take some of my husband �s preschool sports classes and my preschool English classes... and just the other day, when they were talking about what they wanted to do when they grow up (he �s in 1st grade now, so they �re covering serious topicsWink), he told his teacher and class (and wrote it in his notebook) he wanted to be a coach (like his dad) or a teacher (like his mom), althouth we were all sure he �d say he wants to be Nigel (can �t remember the surname - the guy from all those cgi-documentaries about dinosaurs) or Bear Grills (who survives everything)... I guess that �s the best compliment your kid can give you - I �ll have to cherish it and memorise it for when he becomes a teenager and starts �hating our guts �Wink... Linda, my baby girl is doing fine - it �s just almost 3 at night and I �m up because she �said � I �m hungry � (in her baby language: weeeeeee-leeeeeee) an hour ago... Who knows what teachers will be like when she grows up and who she �ll remember... Good night for now!
 thanks for sharing you all, as always

28 May 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

Good morning dear Anitaaaaaaaaaaa,

Hehehehe!! Here I am again!! Glad to wake up and find that your interesting thread is still running.

Some teachers just go through life teaching. But there are some that change a person�s life, for the better. I have many favourite teachers in addition to Miss Daniel.

One of my favorite teachers was my high school math teacher. He was a bit goofy,  but wonderfully nice and he really cared about the subject and all of his students. His class was always special  - I felt most comfortable in the environment he set up and it was fun every day. I had hated math up until he taught me.  He was always so clear in his explanations and I could always understand what he was trying to get at.

Another favourite teacher was my high school English teacher.  Her name is Ms. Iman! She used to help us relax bfore starting any session by asking us to close our eyes and imagine a world she inspires. Wowwwwwwwwwww!!!! I remember how many dreams and fantasy world I pictured at that time. She even played classic music to get us engaged. She is also the most thoughtful person in whole world! She only does things that help her students! She is always there for me to listen to my problems or when I �m in a bad mood , she cheers me up! She �s not just a teacher she is also a friend, I can talk to her just like I talk to one of my close friends! I do miss her.

My History teacher, Mr. Khaled,  was the first to make me really  think in high school. Instead of just memorizing the major wars, revolutions, and accomplishments in history, we relived them. Teasing us and playing the devil �s part, he forced us to look at the world through the eyes of the people involved. We took their parts and argued their causes, and tried to convince each other what was just. This way, we understood the complexity of history, and its meaning for us, and no longer conceived of it simply as a time line to be memorized.

Thanks Anita for starting this wonderful topic. You made go back in memories, and remember people, very dear people to my heart. Thanks a lot for them and for helping me be a teacher that embraces a very skillfull blend of the best ingredients of being a good human in the first place, and a good teacher in the second one.

Enjoyed all your stories , guyssssssssssssss!!!!!!
Have a great morning start,
Nebal

28 May 2010     

cris03glu
Mexico

Very nice subject!
I remember my first grade English teacher (the only year i studied English, i was only 6! Then my parents couldn �t afford that private school). I think i started to love English since then.
She had long curly hair and this beautiful pronunciation... i can picture myself singing "yellow submarine" again lol
My dad used to asked me the colors, numbers or any other thing i told him i �d learnt on the way back home. Those were really good days.
Thanks a lot for sharing your memories

Regards from Mexico

Cris**

28 May 2010