Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > EUROVISION SONG CONTEST    

EUROVISION SONG CONTEST

magneto
Greece

@Libertybelle:
Yes, our song was fun...Thank God most people in other countries don �t understand the lyrics - not much originality or variety thereDisapprove. Thanks for the compliment, though!
@Epit
Yes, unfortunately I believe it is:
Usually the songs have nothing to do with countries � specific cultural features, which would help nations get to really know each other. To me, the Eurovision Song Contest is simply a huge party...not much true interaction and communication between nations going on there...Plus, as far as Greece is concerned, at least, we have much better artists and music to show, and yet, for some reason, we usually don �t send them as representatives...I don �t know if that �s true of other countries, but, most of the times, it is of Greece.
As far as the Olympics are concerned...oh, how I wish I could believe they have something to do with the ancient Olympic spirit!...You know, peace and true communication between nations for a while...
However: 1. They have become way too competitive and professional (look at all the doping cases revealed every now and then) to have anything to do with what the true spirit of the Olympics is supposed to be (for native Greek speakers the difference is easier to understand, as we have two expressions to speak of competition, one with a positive and one with a negative connotation: ευγενής άμιλλα, which roughly translates as fair play, and ανταγωνισμός, which means competition - usually at all costs). I �m afraid the Olympics today have nothing to do with fair play...
2. I don �t see any cease-fire going on in war zones during the Olympics in our days, so there goes the spirit of peace and understanding during the Olympics.
And 3. As far as Greece is concerned, the Olympics were a good chance for some contractors and politicians to collect money, as a. many of the facilities used back then are now left unused and b. many of the works finished back then were finished in a hurry, with the result of many, say, roadworks to be presenting us with safety issues now...Plus, quite a few workers (mainly immigrants) were killed in work accidents...and I doubt their families ever got any compensation for that.

So, for all these reasons, I believe that such events are unnecessary...Just a big fat party...
I �m sorry if I sound pessimistic or mean, but that �s how I feel...especially given the situation we have to live in these days and all the scandals getting revealed every day.

Have a great day, all of youSmile

30 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Magneto:

30 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

@Blunderbuster:
What does this mean? "My thoughts exactly", "Cheer up!" or "Magneto, you �ve lost it!"? LOL

31 May 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

it probably means: magneto, we love you!!
Tongue

31 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

OOOH! Thank youHug

31 May 2010     

< Previous   1    2