Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > modals    

modals

pipetochka
Belarus

modals

please check my modals. thanks in advance!
Use the necessary modal verbs (can, may, must, have to, should, need, to be allowed to, to be able to). Use the right tense form.
Вставьте подходящие по смыслу модальные глаголы или их эквиваленты (can, may, must, have to, should, need, to be allowed to, to be able to).
1. Passengers are allowed to smoke in the no-smoking area. 2. Before getting on a plane you have to show your boarding card. 3. You needn �t shout, I �m not deaf. 4. The train must arrive in five minutes, we should hurry up. 5. Steve  is able to speak English, French and Italian. 6. May I ask you a question? - Of course, you may. 7. Who can it be?-It can be anybody.

evey verb should be used only once in each point.

2 Jun 2010      

magneto
Greece

1. Passengers aren �t allowed to smoke in the no-smoking area. 2. Before getting on a plane you have to show your boarding card. 3. You needn �t shout, I �m not deaf. 4. The train must arrive in five minutes, we should hurry up. 5. Steve  is able to speak English, French and Italian. 6. May I ask you a question? - Of course, you may. 7. Who can it be?-It can be anybody.

2 Jun 2010     

caroay
Spain

What about the following...?

4. The train should arrive in five minutes, we must hurry up!

2 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

I would also suggest:

5. Steve can speak English, French and Italian (is able to sounds a bit unnatural).

7. Who could it be - it could/might be anyone.

Lindsey

2 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

1. Passengers aren �t allowed to smoke in the no-smoking area.
2. Before getting on a plane you need to show your boarding card.
3. You don �t have to shout, I �m not deaf.
4. The train should arrive in five minutes, we must hurry up.
5. Steve  is able to speak English, French and Italian.
6. May I ask you a question? - Of course, you may.
7. Who can it be?-It could be anybody.

2 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

I wasn �t sure about 4 myself.
As far as these are concerned:

5. Steve can speak English, French and Italian (is able to sounds a bit unnatural).
7. Who could it be - it could/might be anyone.

Lindsay �s suggestions would sound more natural to me too, but, reading the rubric, I thought Pipetochka �s options were limited. Perhaps she could clarify that for us?

2 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

1. Passengers aren�t allowed to smoke in the no-smoking area. - Also �can�t smoke/mustn�t smoke�.

2. Before getting on a plane you have to show your boarding card. Also �need to show/must show.�

3. You needn �t shout, I �m not deaf. - Also �don�t have to shout�.

4. The train must arrive in five minutes, we should hurry up -. Also  �should arrive� and �have to/must hurry (up).�

5. Steve  is able to speak English, French and Italian. - Agreed here that �can� is more natural.

6. May I ask you a question? - Of course, you may.  � Also �Can I� and yes, �you can�... it�s just as polite as �may� in this usage.

7. Who can it be?-It can be anybody. .... Also �Could/might� / It could/might be...

2 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

Considering the fact you must only use each modal once, I �m pretty much sure of my answers written about.

Have a good day all,

Sincerly, Babs

2 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

Strange how you say no- smoking area, whereas in the UK we would call it non-smoking area. Weird!

2 Jun 2010