Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Problem "OF WHOM SOME" structure! Please help!:)    

Problem "OF WHOM SOME" structure! Please help!:)

mad_rdg
Germany

Problem "OF WHOM SOME" structure! Please help!:)

The patients, ________ had spent the night outside, were desperate.
a) of whom some
b) wich
c) some of wich
d) some of who

I choosed "d" but the correct answer is "a"- of whom some...
 It �s the first time I �ve found this tipe of "inversion", and I picked the wrong answer as I didn �t know about this "relative structure"... Could you explain why the correct answer is "a" and could you help me with some theory regarding this tricky structures?!? Thank you!

2 Jun 2010      

magneto
Greece

I �ve never seen this type of inversion, either, but it doesn �t sound wrong. The answer I would have thought of as perfect would be "some of whom", but, since it isn �t one of the options, (a) looks correct.
I don �t know why the clause is inverted, but I would choose (a) because of the "whom" bit - "of" needs "whom", it �s a preposition which needs an "object", so to speak.

2 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

I have seen and heard of this inversion but it is really not all that common nowadays. In fact, it sounds like "old" English to me and I would suspect that whoever fashioned the question used this construction on purpose to either - show off - or fool the people taking the exam or doing the activity.

I would have picked, if given the choice, "some of whom"... but as this was not an option; I would have then picked option "a" just because it was the only one close enough to the "some of whom" answer.

Also, "who" could have been a correct answer too but as it was not offered, the only possible choice was "a".

Now the reasoning:

Some of whom - means not all of them, only a few... and it is the same idea as "some of them" instead of "some of they" (which is wrong) - whom is the object and who is the subject...

2 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree completely with Linda (Zora). "Some of whom" is very common, but "of whom some" is definitely correct.

Bruce

2 Jun 2010     

aquarius_gr
Greece

I can confirm, very uncommon but correct.

3 Jun 2010