Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > żANY IDEAS?    

żANY IDEAS?

Mar0919
Mexico

żANY IDEAS?

Hi, all!!!!!! Here I am again, requesting your generous help!!! Has anyone watched the movie "Little Miss Sunshine"? I want to use it with my students, and practice some Tag Questin writing... I have a few questions that come with the movie segment from a link given here in the Forum, but it ´s a very short exercies, I would like some more ideas on work I can do with this movie. I ´m just downloading it now, and it will take a couple of hours, it ´ll be too late to start up a worksheet by the time it finishes and I watch it!!! If someone has seen it, and can help me with some ideas, I would really appreciate it!!!  

Hoping for some great ideas, thanks in advance!!!!

Mar

3 Jun 2010      

Mar0919
Mexico

Snif, snif!!!! no ideas out there?

Plz!!!!

3 Jun 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Howdy,

I ´ve seen the movie but I ´m not sure about the movie segment.
Which part of the movie is it?  That might make it easier to make focus questions.

Otherwise, here are some general ideas:
- Relate it to beauty pageants and expectations about beauty. 
- Relate it to family and how people in a family support each other.
- Talk about a person ´s role in a family.  Maybe you can ask students to think about how they contribute to their families.  The girl in the movie is indeed Little Miss Sunshine because she ´s a source of light and positivity in the movie.  She shines her own light.
- Talk about the different personalities of the people in the family.  This can be part of a lesson on describing people and personalities.  It can be a lot of fun to compare the people.

Hope that gives you some sort of a start.

:) 

3 Jun 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Atsanti, THANK YOU so much for your ideas. Actually, I ´d like to have them watch the whole movie or great part of it. The thing is, tomorrow I will have a problem to solve at school, (I ´m the coordinator) I ´ll have 2 teachers absent, I must be taking care of 2 extra groups, so I must leave my own group literally by themselves, but since I don ´t want them to get rowdy, I will give them the activities to do while watching the movie...

thanks again!!!!

Mar

3 Jun 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Oh I see... that gives your activity a focus.

You can give them some very specific questions to go along with the movie so that they have to pay attention while watching...

A character study would be something they could do while watching.
Maybe you can make a chart that looks at the 
- strengths
- weaknesses (vices)
- philosophy (worldview)

of each character.  
If that sounds too boring, maybe you can give them a specific character (or two) to focus on.  Tell them they are making notes to pretend to be the character later on, or something like that... so the activity has some further purpose.

In addition, perhaps you can ask them to look for the colours/symbols of Sunshine in the movie.
What kind of symbols or images did they see that showed Sunshine?

They will have to pay attention throughout the movie in order to make a list of these things.
You will be surprised what they come up with, I ´m sure.

There is also the idea of a Story Chart or a Plot Graph.  

The students can think about the main parts... 
What is the problem in the story?
What is the climax?
What is the solution?

They can try to fill out an organizer or something similar while watching the movie.

3 Jun 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

WOW... you are soooooooooo helpful, Atsanti!!!!!! you are wonderful, thanks a million!!!!!!!!!

Mar

3 Jun 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Hi Mar,

I ´m always glad to help!

Aileen

3 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

You could also get them to write about their ideas or thoughts as other characters in the movie from particular scenes.

for example  what do the other contestants or parents think about the judges decision?

I can ´t remember enough of the movie to remember some of the smaller roles in the movie, but this would be a good exercise in different perspectives & having the students give their opinion in English. (Ever hear of a movie called Rashomon?)

3 Jun 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thanks, Alien boy!!!! Good suggestions!!!!

P.S.  Long time no see!!!!!!

Mar

3 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

My pleasure Mar!

I ´ll happily don my armour (or spacesuit!) & tilt at windmills for a damsel in distress Wink

3 Jun 2010     

mena22
Portugal

Always a Gentleman AB!
Good to see you!

mena

3 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >