Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > verb followed by subordiante    

verb followed by subordiante

Aldegunde
Spain

verb followed by subordiante

Hi everybody!
I need your help to clarify a doubt. Is it right to say "children love that old people pay attention to them" or should it be "children love old people to pay attention to them"?
Thanks in advance.

3 Jun 2010      

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello,

I think the first sentence is ok "children love that old people pay attention to them" ... But I would also say " children love (it) when old people pay attention to them" or "children love old people paying attention to them"

But maybe somebody has better ideas, we will see :)

zuzana

3 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Your sentence sounds ok... But I think Zuzana �s suggestions were even better, especially this one:  " children love (it) when old people pay attention to them"

3 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

All three are fine - there are many acceptable ways of saying the same thing

3 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

They are all ways of saying almost identical things. 

The only real differences are

(1) "children love that old people pay attention to them"
-  the old people don �t have to be actually paying attention at that time for the children to be enjoying it... it can be in anticipation or as a feeling of satisfaction/pleasure in the knowledge that old people will & do pay attention to them. 

whereas (2)"children love (it) when old people pay attention to them" & (3) "children love old people paying attention to them" have the enjoyment firmly attached to the attention as it is happening (semantically, at least).

Sorry to split hairs!

Cheers,
AB

3 Jun 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi A.B.
I love A.B. paying attention to me... LOL

You did it ! Split hairs.

I don �t want you to   split anything.
Have a nice Thursday - it �s a holiday here.

Wink for me and

Cry for you, AB
Hugs
linda

3 Jun 2010     

Pearler
Spain

Hi Aldegunde,

in fact what you �re doing is directly translating from the Spanish subjunctive:

"a los ni�os les encanta que los mayores les presten atenci�n" - something that Spanish people do very often. Although the first sentence is not gramatically incorrect, the second option is more natural in everyday English.

In fact, the best option would be to use the -ing form:

Children love old people paying attention to them,

or to change the form a little:

Children love it when old people pay attention to them.

Think about the phrases: "I love it when you do that" or "I love it when that happens"

Or George Peppard �s catchphrase from the "A Team" :

"I love it when a plan comes together." All children of the �80s should remmeber that!

3 Jun 2010