Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > least good?    

least good?

Giulietta66
Switzerland

least good?

hey everyone... can you say " he is the least good" or "the least tall"? or do you need to use least only with long adjectives? 

3 Jun 2010      

magneto
Greece

Well, it does sound a bit unusual, perhaps even odd, but I don �t think it �s grammatically wrong.
Any other ideas, anybody?

3 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Interesting question, hm... I found this http://www.anglaisfacile.com/free/news/printmatchcompare.php which says less-least is used both for short and long adjectives... However, I have to say I never teach it that way and I don �t think I �d ever use it like that... As magneto says - sounds odd, though I can �t say it �s not correct... I �d love to hear from douglas or libertybelle, or any other native speaker...
edit: here�s another one http://englishrecord.com/Adjective%20Degrees.html which states the same thing - for long and short adjectives...

3 Jun 2010     

denfer
Czech Republic

I would say : the worst and the shortest... ?

3 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I know, denfer, so would I.

3 Jun 2010     

Giulietta66
Switzerland

thanks sooooooooooooooooooo much everyone!

3 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

I think the problem is when you �re trying to convey a slightly different meaning, that �s why Giulietta is asking. Take a look at this example (of course, it �s an example using the comparative degree, but I think the difference in meaning is clear): "Maria is a worse student than Helena." - the meaning I get is "Helena is a bad student, but Maria is even worse.", as opposed to "Maria is not as good a student as Helena", in which case the meaning I get is "Maria is a good student, but not as good as Helena."
Giulietta, could you make that clear for us? Is this why you �re asking? Are you trying to convey a difference in meaning, like "it �s good, but compared to many others it �s not that good", as opposed to "they �re all bad, and that  one�s the worst"?

3 Jun 2010     

kodora
Greece

Using less and least before adjectives is inferiority comparison and you want to emphasize which person or thing has the quality of the adjective in a lesser degree.Ferrari is an expensive car.Porche is less expensive than Ferrari.(but it is not cheap!)
Dora

3 Jun 2010     

afteleg
Philippines

If we compare three or more people in terms of personality, we can say that all of them are good or nice, however, there will always be one who is the least good/nice...and it might sound inappropriate to call him/her �the worst �...

when talking abt a person �s ability, I think we don �t really say least good right? It �s not wrong to say that he/she is the worst among them...
so it depends??? I guess??

4 Jun 2010