Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How could I explain the difference between rythm and intonation to my students?    

How could I explain the difference between rythm and intonation to my students?

celx
Argentina

3 Jun 2010      

melinaki
Greece

A rhythm is a regular beat. A rhythmic sound is repeated regularly, it could be at different/various speeds.
Intonation is the way that the sound of your voice rises or falls.People living in different areas of the same country may have different intonations because of different dialects.
Melina :)

3 Jun 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello,

I might add that in case your students have no idea about the meaning and importance of rhythm and intonation, it �s a good idea to start with a simple introduction - both rhythm and intonation are as important as pronunciation and grammar, if students want to be understood when speaking English. Whereas rhythm is related to words and syllables, intonation is related to whole sentences. Rhythm is important for distinguishing stressed and unstressed syllables. Intonation is important for distinguishing questions, affirmative sentences, question tags, imperatives, irony, sarcasm and so on...

I hope it helped a bit, or, did you need a more detailed explanation?

zuzana

3 Jun 2010     

priorita
Ukraine

don �t they know the tango or other dance rhythm? show them rhythm by beating on a table, and intonation - by rising you voice.

3 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

I love your explanation zuzana Wink 

3 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

You can demonstrate it simply by clapping the rhythm of a sentence/phrase/word while saying it in a monotone. Get your students to repeat it. Then say the same sentence with the appropriate emphasis/intonation, with exaggeration & maybe a physical action (nodding or something similar) to mark the change in intonation. Get the students to repeat it.

Then put the 2 together & see how they go! It �s as much fun to watch as the old �rub your stomach while patting your head � routine for young kids with developing motor skills!

I use this sort of thing a lot when teaching English lyrics in music class.

Cheers,
AB

4 Jun 2010     

celx
Argentina

Good explanations , Thanks everybody for sharing your ideas Wink

5 Jun 2010